Best way to capture the eclipse?

Looking at an eclipse map, from what I understand, I will NOT see a total eclipse from Toronto. If I understand this correctly, I will see an almost total eclipse, but probably with part of the corona "clipped". If anyone knows for sure, please reply.

Thank you!

As a fuji shootter, what is the advised focal length? Would investing in a prime or zoom lens be more optimal? say 300mm? vs 70-300mm

As for solar filter, it would be dependent on the lens I go for (to ensure it fits) any difference between plastic vs titanium one?

The tripod I have is a carbon fiber monfrotto and I use to use it for my canon mark 3 5d and the plate I have doesn't fit with the current fuji film. would this work?

I am reading through all.
Thank you all for your responses!

Go look at the video clip I linked above in comment 13. It is related to a couple of other video clips. The focal length will depend on what you want to capture. From what I have seen reported, a 300mm will get you a picture of a good amount of the corona, but with less detail. But if you want more detail you can go longer on the focal length (500mm and above) and that will probably clip some of the solar flairs along the narrow axis of your picture, in favour of more detail in the long axis of your picture. Go look at the videos in comments 11 and 13. But in the end, it's your choice, and it is a gamble. The only way to be very sure is to have multiple cameras with a variety of lenses and settings. Got a lot of money handy?

Oops! Sorry! My comments related focal lengths for an APS-C sensor camera -- because that is what I was thinking about using -- my Sony a6400. For Full Frame, add about 50% to the focal length. So a 500mm on my APS-C Sony is like a 750mm on a full frame camera.

Last edited:
For the record: I now know that Toronto is going to barely MISS the total eclipse. My current information is as follows:

Toronto Partial Solar eclipse from about 14:04:58,
Obscuration 99.93%
Magnitude 0.9979
Duration 2h, 26m, 43s
Partial begins Apr 8 at 2:04:58 pm
Maximum Apr 8 at 3:19:56 pm
Partial ends Apr 8 at 4:31:41 pm

The best cities "near" me would be Indy, Cleveland and Buffalo. Buffalo is actually the best for me. And then Montreal. But I don't think I'll bother. I'll probably just photograph the partial, or maybe not even that. I have some other plans now.

Weather forecast for Toronto up to the eclipse from Weather Canada: (not good)

Apr 4, 2024
3 deg C, cloudy, light rain Pressure 99.5 kPa, falling, a few flurries or rain showers

Apr 5, 2024 (Fri)
6 deg C, cloudy, light rain, 40% change of flurries or rain

Apr 6, 2024 (Sat)
8 deg C, A mix of sun and cloud

Apr 7, 2024 (Sun)
12 deg C, sunny

Apr 8, 2024 (Mon - eclipse day)
12 deg C, Cloudy

Last edited:
Maybe the Last Irony: My Sony a6400 Problems:

Things have changed and I will probably be trying my hand at a time-lapse of the Eclipse. I decided to set up my Sony a6400, because that is the only camera for which I have an Tiffen ND64 (-6 stops) filter. I have a Sony DT F4-5.6 55-200mm ("A-Mount") zoom lens that takes the filter (the lens takes 55mm filters), but I only have the Sony LA-EA3 adapter for it. This was the "cheap" adapter. Sony also made the "LA-EA4" adapter which was better, but I did not expect to use this adapter and lens combination much and did not expect problems, and so, decided that this would be good enough. Unfortunately, the combination has problems. The adapter seems to limit the exposure to "-2 stops". While testing the setup, I had it set to -5 stops at one point, but it keeps changing back to "-2 stops". That is definitely not enough. I cannot find a way to set it completely manual. Any ideas what I should do?

Actually, the "Tiffen ND64" filter might not be enough anyway. Everybody seems to recommend a "White Light filter", which I cannot find this late.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back