Best way to resize pics for the internet?

TurboGoKart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the best way to resize my high res pictures from my camera so that I can post them on the internet in other forums. Does anyone know a good way to do that?

Or do places like imagestation or photobucket automatically resize them once you upload them? I just hate how most of the time when I resize them, the quality goes to crap. I would imagine it would a little, but it's pretty sucky.

Yes, photobucket will resize them for you for SURE. I hate that place. :)

What programs do you have for resizing?

Photobucket only resizes them when you try to upload files that are too big.

Here is what I do (with Photoshop).
First, resize the image. It should be no bigger than 800 pixels wide. For web viewing, the PPI should be set to 72...but that doesn't really matter too much...as long as the actual size in pixels is less than 800.

Then save-as a copy for uploading. When saving as a JPEG, you can set the quality/compression level. I usually set it at 5 or 6 out of 12...but you can even go lower if you need to.

With both of those steps, I can take a 5000kb image and make it 50-100kb and it will still look great when uploaded.

Flickr resizes for you too, that's what I use. I paid the $25 for a pro account. Anything over 800px it asks if you'd like to resize, I usually do so to 1280x848 (For the particular photo I'm looking at). Clicking on "All Sizes" for the photo after I uploaded it shows I can pick from Square - 75x75, Thumbnail - 100x66, Small - 240x159, Medium - 500x331, then the original size. I also think it does larger sizes depending on the size of the original.

I feel like such a commercial for em sometimes, but hey, I love em :D

I hate Photobucket. :thumbdown:

I use ImageShack and it allows you to resize during upload. Never had a problem yet. ;)

The best program I've found so far for quickly resizing for internet uploading is Irfanview. It's got great compression and still gives tolerable quality, with a quality slider.

I use it over Photoshop for resizing for the simple fact that it opens about 10 times faster :p

I actually just looked and I have Irfanview. It seems to work pretty well to resize them and still keep the quality. Not like my piece of crap Olympus camera has great quality to begin with though, lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back