Bird Experts - Whoo-whoo is this?

~Stella~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not a wildlife photographer, nor do I play one on TV, so this is the best I could do given the location, etc.... This little guy lives in my mom's backyard - in her fig tree. We think it is a juvenile screech owl. Any other guesses?

P1080417_edited-1.jpg

Oh, and I'm in Texas.

ETA - Oooh - I just realized I have a sharper one...I may post that one when I have a minute.

I woke him (her?) up in the middle of his night - what do you expect? ;)

P1080424_edited-1.jpg

Slightly sharper and perhaps a better edit, colorwise. The light was coming through the fig leaves so he was actually basking in green light. I tried to de-greenify him. :lol:

Man - check out those talons!

eastern screech owl was guess too

Cute little fella and quite lucky to have him living next door!

Cute little fella and quite lucky to have him living next door!

I'd kill to have something like that living right next door...Stick the big lens out the window and snap'em sleepin :mrgreen:

I would seriously consider building him a nice nesting hole or box where he can feel safe and you can see him at the same time. He could proove to be a great intro into bird photography for you. You have a good start with this shot, I wish my first shots of birds looked that good.

Thanks. There's a purple martin house next to his fig tree - the squirrels have chewed at it, making it the right size for owls to nest and my mom thinks she saw momma owl in there a while back, but isn't 100%. Her yard is well established and birds in general seem to love it - this is not the first owl who has camped out there; she had 4 baby owls there a few years back that would huddle together in the daytime - I'd kill to photograph those little ones now; freaking adorable.

So this one sits all day every day in the fig tree about....eh....12-15' up. I'll try to go back and get some more shots in nicer lighting...he's pretty cute. Unless you are a mouse.

Bingo! Thanks!
The Eastern Screech-Owl is the most common owl in Houston. Very small (8" - 9"), it has two color morphs: gray and red, with gray being the most common. Screech-Owls mainly eat insects, but also like to hunt for small fish and frogs. They are relatively tame and curious, and have been known to follow evening strollers out of curiosity. They readily accept an owl house. Screech-Owls are best seen in the early evening or pre-dawn hours. Their call is long, descending quavering whinny. A second call is a long, low trill.
Eastern Screech-Owl (Otus asio)

Actually, I've already found plans - they like 8x8 spaces with small holes to go through. If you click my blog link, I posted the plans...I'm kind of excited. I'm also making my dad (retired, bored) do all the work, lol.

Thanks for the ideas!

Most reactions

Back