Black & white assistance needed! xx

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
:heart: Hi Guys! Sorry if i am posting too much but am a little bit addicted to this site ( poor hubby), and am trying really hard to improve. Im desperate to develop my b&w skills... mine always seem bland...and grey if that even makes sense... I'm searching for the rich blacks and true whites?!! Ok, will stop carrying on. Took a few of my boy today and thought these were a little better. Prefer #1 to #2 & #3.... any feedback will be greatly appreciated xxx:heart:

#1...
IMG_3409borders.jpg

#2...
IMG_3345borders.jpg

#3...
IMG_3328borders.jpg

PS... Chicken Little was on tv, so I didn't get much eye contact LOLx but thought they were cute none the less xx

#3 is by far my fave, it is sharper, has more expression, and best of all, has light in his eyes. The first two I believe may be slightly 'blurred' due to a slower shutter speed. Personally I think your b & w look quite good. What method are you using for converting?

I personally use CS2, add a gradient map layer and then another layer with channel mixers (Monochrome checked) and just play around in there, but there are dozens of different ways.

:heart: Thanks... I have been getting a few hot tips from Shelleysnapz. Her b&w are brilliant. Anyway, I shot in b&w like she does, and adjusted my contrast and sharpness to the highest level. No PS adjustments on these. Dumb question...... what is CS2??? I tend to get a little lost in these programs... must do a course one of these days:lol: xx thanks!

Peanuts said:
#3 is by far my fave, it is sharper, has more expression, and best of all, has light in his eyes. The first two I believe may be slightly 'blurred' due to a slower shutter speed. Personally I think your b & w look quite good. What method are you using for converting?

I personally use CS2, add a gradient map layer and then another layer with channel mixers (Monochrome checked) and just play around in there, but there are dozens of different ways.

Of these, I definitely like 3 best since it is sharpest and the light is very nice. It is not flat at all! And the blacks and whites are best in that one, I think!

1 has some motion blur and I personally don't like the point of view too much ... it is a personal feeling, but looking down onto children seems to convey just that: a feeling of superiority, paternalism (maternalism in your case, right ;) ;) ;)), such things. But that is just me, like I was saying!!

I find that trying to capture my kids while they are enraptured by something on TV gives me good results, though it is true: you get only little to no eye contact. But those situations give you time to wander around and look for the best point of view, to focus, or to try out all the manual settings of the camera beforehand. I certainly still need all that time when it comes to photographing my children!

Wow, I like these! Wish I would get photos like that more often.

Photoshop CS2 is a version of Photoshop; I'm not sure how it differs from other versions of Photoshop, because I've never used any of them. I use The Gimp, which is free (and works with Linux, which is what my computer runs instead of Windows).

One thing I might do, if you're going for deeper blacks and brighter whites, is use the "Levels" control to set the black and white points. I know how to do this in The Gimp; it's basically the same in PS, but I don't know how to get there.

Someone who knows more about PS can probably give you instructions--or try googling something like "Photoshop Black point white point."

Hi Jemma!

Ok #1 and #2 have a bitt too much gray in them. this can be fixed in photoshop in levels or in curves...which ever is easiest for you you to use. I like #3 the best as well! What kind of lighting do you use? Whn Im indoors I always have teh child sit approx 2-3 feet away from a bright window if its overcast or a window that has a sheer if its really sunny to cut back on glare.

If you can, could you plese ell us what settings your camera was on when you took these shots?

I took a couple minutes and made a couple of tonal adjustments just to show you that you are on the right track...hope you dont mind!
I just went to levels and adjusted the lighting alittle then went to curves and adjusted the contrast in there and back to leves again, then I used my unsharp mask adn then put the photos through neat image and this is what I cam up with...

IMG_3345borders.jpg

IMG_3409borders.jpg

I would definately use a white background next time, like a wall or a bed linens and get on the childs level. I alwas get on my stomach when I shoot my kids...well my youngest anyway! My 16 yr old is taller than me by 5 inches and my 11 yr old is probably gonna be taller than my by summers end! Unless you really want a certain perspective then its eye level for children. I almost always use natural window lighting and if I cant then I have a lamp close by for extra light so the subject isnt in dark shadows unless thats the look you are trying to achieve. High key is really great for children too its "fresher" looking.

I think U did great.. I agree with Trying a white background next time.. Ihardly ever use just plain black any more when I do TRY portraits...

Here is my attempt..

1her.jpg

12her.jpg

I DID add only a slight bit of contrast to help the subject pop a little.. then added some light into it... So its NOT to sharp with white, but not to high in contrast.. *Well I dont think anyway* lol..

Nice job! Look forward to seeing more!

You guys are amazing!! Im getting into PS as soon as i get back from taking jay to kindy....looks the house work will have to wait....AGAIN! Will check & post camera settings when i get back. Some dumb questions... "neat image" and "high key"... I have no idea!!! Are they in PS7...Please HELP!!! xxx lol & thanksssssss,... I finally feel that maybe i'm on the right track xx

neat image is a piece of software you can use to reduce noise in your digital photographs.

High-key is a style of photography which basically uses alot of strong light. :)

...also if you are using a digital camera you would be better off shooting in colour and converting it to black & white in photoshop. The most popular ways to do this is by using The Channel Mixer or the Gradient Map, this is because they give you a lot of control over the conversion. So they might be a good place to start experimenting in PS. You will notice the difference with your photos and have lots of fun along the way.

keep up the good work!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back