Blue Angels, and airshow photo help.

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a couple from the show this past weekend. The lighting wasn't optimal. It was overcast most of the day, and when the sun actually did come out, it was on the opposing side of the spectators, so most of the images were backlit. It was disappointing results.
Comment or Critique if you'd like.

PA310285.jpg

PA310226.jpg

PA310190.jpg

PA310069.jpg

PA310038.jpg

Last edited:
Bump.

I'm just trying to figure out why the shoot didn't turn out as I hoped. It could be the equipment tracking capability. Most likely the shooter.
The above photos could be potential keepers, but the disappointment is that I have several hundred photos like the one below. (cropped only) Underexposed aircraft and poor panning.

Camera was set to Center or Spot metering for most of the shooting. Most turned out very dark still.
I attempted to shoot the prop planes in Shutter Priority at 1/125-1/200. Auto ISO
Jets were shot at 1/1600, Auto ISO

PA310165.jpg

The C131 Hercules propeller blades ? did you pan that and how did the lines things appear .. just from the air ?

whatever he did it's awesome.

The C131 Hercules propeller blades ? did you pan that and how did the lines things appear .. just from the air ?

It's not really photographic skill. I did pan with the shot, but the vortices were produced by lift from the propellers, same way a wing produces vortices at high angles of attack. It was a very high humidity day, as seen on the Blue Angels as well.

It's not really photographic skill. I did pan with the shot, but the vortices were produced by lift from the propellers, same way a wing produces vortices at high angles of attack. It was a very high humidity day, as seen on the Blue Angels as well.
Either way, it's totally cool.
Wished you had gotten the C131 coming towards you like that though.

Me too!
Nothing but blur coming at me all day.
PA310193.jpg

Me too!
Nothing but blur coming at me all day.
View attachment 110947
You have to get that shutter speed way up
1/160 is good for portraiture but not an airplane flying fast in the air.

f/22?
= = = = =
Camera: Olympus E-M5MarkII
Lens: OLYMPUS M.75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II
Shot at 117 mm
Exposure: Manual exposure, Shutter priority AE, 1/160 sec, f/22, ISO 125, Compensation: -0.3
= = = = =

for fast flying jets I'm at 1/1000 or higher
for "fast" airplanes 1/640 more or less dependent .. have to make sure body is not blurry but slow enough to get propeller blur.

your 1st photo --
Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 1/1,600 sec, f/6.3, ISO 250

f/22?
= = = = =
Shot at 117 mm
Exposure: Manual exposure, Shutter priority AE, 1/160 sec, f/22, ISO 125, Compensation: -0.3
= = = = =

for "fast" airplanes 1/640 more or less dependent .. have to make sure body is not blurry but slow enough to get propeller blur.

your 1st photo --

Not entirely true. When I shoot prop planes I keep my shutter at all times at 1/125 to 1/250 or so. Any faster than that and the prop is all but frozen with only a slight indication of blur. The trick is to try and actually create a blurred disk of the prop. The F22 is likely due to the OP shooting in Shutter Priority mode which means the aperture will adjust automatically to get proper exposure. A Neutral Density filter would have helped with that.

This shot was taken at 1/160 of a second. The plane was closing on me at over 180 MPH. I used the slow shutter speed to try and create a prop disk and panned with the aircraft to keep it as sharp as I could because of the slow shutter speed.

Pitts%252520Special%252520high%252520speed%252520pass.jpg

f/22?
= = = = =
Shot at 117 mm
= = = = =

your 1st photo --

Not entirely true. When I shoot prop planes I keep my shutter at all times at 1/125 to 1/250 or so. Any faster than that and the prop is all but frozen with only a slight indication of blur. The trick is to try and actually create a blurred disk of the prop. The F22 is likely due to the OP shooting in Shutter Priority mode which means the aperture will adjust automatically to get proper exposure. A Neutral Density filter would have helped with that.

This shot was taken at 1/160 of a second. The plane was closing on me at over 180 MPH. I used the slow shutter speed to try and create a prop disk and panned with the aircraft to keep it as sharp as I could because of the slow shutter speed.

Pitts%252520Special%252520high%252520speed%252520pass.jpg

What a beautiful Pitts! Nice shot. Do you use Matrix metering or spot metering for your airplane shots?

That's correct, I was using Shutter priority, and didn't really want it to be f/22, that's just what happened. That's a great recommendation for a ND filter. What density of filter do you usually use? 2-3 stops?

What a beautiful Pitts! Nice shot. Do you use Matrix metering or spot metering for your airplane shots?

That's correct, I was using Shutter priority, and didn't really want it to be f/22, that's just what happened. That's a great recommendation for a ND filter. What density of filter do you usually use? 2-3 stops?

Thanks, that Pitts is a beautifully restored airplane that is housed at a little private airstrip called Sugarbush airport. This was actually shot during practice before a little airshow that they put on every couple of years. The plane was doing a low altitude high speed pass to drop it's tow line after towing up a glider with the airport owner in it.

My ND filter is a 0.6 which equates to about a 2 stop reduction in light. I haven't had much opportunity to try mine as of yet, but hope to soon. I would think though that 2 stops should be sufficient (especially on a cloudy day such as what you experienced). On a bright sunny day it's possible that a 3-4 stop filter might be needed, but I'm not entirely sure on that. I need to take my filter out to the local airport on a sunny day to see what kind of results I get.

If you're interested, here's a couple of links to more photo's from the airshow mentioned above as well as some to an airshow I attended earlier this year.

Sugarbush Airshow 2013

Great New England Airshow 2015

Thanks, that Pitts is a beautifully restored airplane that is housed at a little private airstrip called Sugarbush airport. This was actually shot during practice before a little airshow that they put on every couple of years. The plane was doing a low altitude high speed pass to drop it's tow line after towing up a glider with the airport owner in it.

My ND filter is a 0.6 which equates to about a 2 stop reduction in light. I haven't had much opportunity to try mine as of yet, but hope to soon. I would think though that 2 stops should be sufficient (especially on a cloudy day such as what you experienced). On a bright sunny day it's possible that a 3-4 stop filter might be needed, but I'm not entirely sure on that. I need to take my filter out to the local airport on a sunny day to see what kind of results I get.

If you're interested, here's a couple of links to more photo's from the airshow mentioned above as well as some to an airshow I attended earlier this year.

Sugarbush Airshow 2013

Great New England Airshow 2015

Nice albums! There are some really good pics and nice vibrant colors in that Sugarbush Airshow album!
What type of editing did you do to those photos, if any?

Most reactions

Back