Boring portraits vs Unrealistic beauty standards

Sometimes trying to be "creative" too hard can mean that you don't actually end up as creative as you think you are. Creativity is about more than just doing something different. Sometimes you've got to go back to that same spot for that same landscape a thousand times over to get that one day when the creative process and the light are just perfect for each other.
Never look down on refinement of method or ideas as being lesser. It can sometimes be in the subtle small differences where quality and creativity become free; not just in the big changes and big swings.

Yes, very stylized portraits are in vogue at present. Well stylized photography over all is in vogue, including portraits.
one of the early responders to your post had what I consider very sound advice. Look at Irving Penn's work, Richard Avedon. Heck even Peter Hurley. Grab whomever you know is willing to sit still for you and see if you can reproduce those works that are considered the acme of portrait work. And keep working at it. When you can do work that understands light and shape and expression, then you can start thinking about making it different from what is out there now.

good spend of 2 hours on the subject.

seriously good watch. shows how she develops concepts, works with clients, poses, and a lot of behind the scenes to show how simple it is for her to create some amazing portraits.

Last edited:

seriously good watch. shows how she develops concepts, works with clients, poses, and a lot of behind the scenes to show how simple it is for her to create some amazing portraits.

Thank you for this link. I've never been disappointed with educational videos from B+H, and look forward to viewing this one.

I would look at The Complete Guide To Fine Art Photography. It will help you see portrait photography a bit differently.

The reason I love portraiture is every person is unique. You have an opportunity to make a photo that no one else has ever made or possibly ever will make. If you are simply looking to create a "likeness" then that can be limiting. But if you understand your subject, their motivations, their passions, their personality, they will "speak" to you and if you are open to it, can then build the shot from there on environment/background, wardrobe, props, lighting, pose, expression. Not an easy task when the person in front of you is uncomfortable with the process or wants it over asap. So your technical skills should be mastered to the point of being automatic so you can concentrate on the reason for the shot, not the mechanics. You should be able to make adjustments almost unconsciously while maintaining raport with the subject. Sit on the subjects stool for a while and have someone screw with lights and camera and not speak to you for a few minutes and see how that feels. That is especially detrimental when you just start to get the subject to give you something genuine and the photographer starts struggling with lights or camera. It's why I detest constant chimping to accomplish basic lighting. One tool I would not be without is an incident/reflective light meter. That gets dialed in and only needs fine tuning once shooting begins, checked on a monitor along with focus. Best book I have read on learning to get to the creative, right brain was "Drawing from the right side of the brain." The book is great for learning highlight and shadow with pencil and the first few exercises will make your brain ache as it forces you out of the logical left brain to the creative right brain. Too many photographers are locked in the left brain with exposure, focus, lighting ratios, cameras, lenses and never get out of the left brain. Some even think that is photography or the latest greatest piece of gear will transform their work and chase every new camera or catchy named lens. Arnold Newman said the camera is just a tool, the heart and mind create a photograph. Ansel said the most important part of a camera is the 12 inches behind it. Ernst Hass said Leica smeica, I don't care what camera you use. Once shot with a Nat Geo photographer who said it took him a day or so when he arrived on a location to get in the zone. I think he was referring to getting to that right brain.

Thank you everyone for your advices. I know the work of some photographers, but I don't like everything, for objective/non-objective reasons (so not much to grab from them).
Creativity is about more than just doing something different.
I agree, yet too many people think "creative is to copy some trend".

The difficulty I have is determining where I fit in the creative process. Every medium has a learning curve of basics, but from there on its subjective. Many artist (including photographers) seem to eventually gravitate towards certain styles, techniques, etc. Part of that is for efficiency, part of it might be security, they're afraid to abandon something that works for them. However in doing so they limit their creativity, and eventually become boring. The photographers I admire most are those that can take a creative idea and reproduce it in a way that others can share their vision.
Exactly. Very few can unleash 100% of their creativity, I think it it mainly for pressure and formating. Also most people are seeking for validation, and that's where it become boring.

Great video, she really makes portraits photography worthwhile, I was searching for a video like this for so long, thank you Braineack.

I would look at The Complete Guide To Fine Art Photography. It will help you see portrait photography a bit differently.
Wow looks quite complete (and pricey:D) also looks that there is a lot of post editing. I would rather to keep the editing minimal.

The reason I love portraiture is every person is unique. You have an opportunity to make a photo that no one else has ever made or possibly ever will make. If you are simply looking to create a "likeness" then that can be limiting. But if you understand your subject, their motivations, their passions, their personality, they will "speak" to you and if you are open to it, can then build the shot from there on environment/background, wardrobe, props, lighting, pose, expression. Not an easy task when the person in front of you is uncomfortable with the process or wants it over asap. So your technical skills should be mastered to the point of being automatic so you can concentrate on the reason for the shot, not the mechanics. You should be able to make adjustments almost unconsciously while maintaining raport with the subject. Sit on the subjects stool for a while and have someone screw with lights and camera and not speak to you for a few minutes and see how that feels. That is especially detrimental when you just start to get the subject to give you something genuine and the photographer starts struggling with lights or camera. It's why I detest constant chimping to accomplish basic lighting. One tool I would not be without is an incident/reflective light meter. That gets dialed in and only needs fine tuning once shooting begins, checked on a monitor along with focus.

Best book I have read on learning to get to the creative, right brain was "Drawing from the right side of the brain." The book is great for learning highlight and shadow with pencil and the first few exercises will make your brain ache as it forces you out of the logical left brain to the creative right brain. Too many photographers are locked in the left brain with exposure, focus, lighting ratios, cameras, lenses and never get out of the left brain. Some even think that is photography or the latest greatest piece of gear will transform their work and chase every new camera or catchy named lens. Arnold Newman said the camera is just a tool, the heart and mind create a photograph. Ansel said the most important part of a camera is the 12 inches behind it. Ernst Hass said Leica smeica, I don't care what camera you use. Once shot with a Nat Geo photographer who said it took him a day or so when he arrived on a location to get in the zone. I think he was referring to getting to that right brain.
Exactly. : ) I also make autoportraits so I know about posing, and I make sure my models are confortable, I talk a lot before the shooting, to know what they are looking for. I also don't direct a shy model the same way I direct an outgoing one.
The book seems very interesting to developp creativity.
I do not own a pricey camera, and I think since you have a decent one, your mind is your greatest asset.

The OPs original question goes back to art in general.

I had the opportunity to view a very large cross section of art. Galleries dedicated to 17th -19th centuries master through modern impressionists.

Quite frankly, comparing the paintings of the Hudson River school of artists to Pablo Picasso, is like comparing apples to Aardvarks. I would proudly hang some on those canvases, if I could afford them; others would simply make good sketch pads for my grand kids scribbles.

Nonetheless, both styles captivated many admirers, intent on studying the details.

So as I mentioned earlier "good art" is in the eye of the beholder. Even in photography, it seems one one person's soft focus is another slightly out of focus. I have also found what I consider good photography evolved over time as new ideas and techniques appeared.

I would proudly hang some on those canvases, if I could afford them; others would simply make good sketch pads for my grand kids scribbles.
Good news! This one is marked down! $50 off original price!

And I'll bet your grandchildren couldn't do that!

Joan Miro - Abstract Composition

They could try, but they'll never get that price for their stuff.

Good news! This one is marked down! $50 off original price!

And I'll bet your grandchildren couldn't do that!

The bad news is that "wrapping optional" so they get it back. As to grandkids, I'm searching drawers for some of their old art - I've got a fortune and didn't know it!

Smoke,

Good one. I try not to be too critical, especially when I see a few adults swooning over such works. But that kind of art does make an easy target. :)

I have to admit it is lost on me.

Hi everyone,

I have been wondering how to make more artistic portraits, and been looking on the net for advice for a while. Sadly, all tips are kind of the same on videos, blogs, posts, etc. And I haven't find something really helpful.

I feel that either portraits I make will look "boring" : just someone smiling looking decently good averagely glamorous.
Either I will have to go full "picture perfect" just like some insta account where people seem to be living on a other planet; with unrealistic beauty standards such has heavy retouching for the model, 3h make up and hair at least, pricey designer clothes, perfect sunny weather, perfect exotic location, everything in the scenery perfectly in place, etc.

But at the end, this pefect pictures look phony, even ridiculous as everyone has the same "tropical beach perfect pic" or heavily sophsticated style "I wake up like this" (rolling eyes) also looks like some are really selling this too hard.

Anyway, I was wondering what's the balance between genuine shoot and more artistic looking?
How to make better portrait without be so cliché?

Arianor, not sure WHY a portrait has to be boring. A portrait is limited by what the person shooting it shoots. If you have a paying customer and all they’ll let you shoot is boring, well boring it’s gonna be. But just like anything else, you as the expert have to educate your customer and sell them on what you feel you can produce for them.
Don’t confuse what an IG influencer does to what you need to do. The influencer is advertising products or looks.
My portfolio contains very little cookie cutter images. Yes I shoot them but more often than not I can sell edgy. Most people just don’t think they can be edgy.
I’m sure my stuff is plenty boring to many, but I strive to make it different and unique! Why create boring when you can create interesting.
These 4 shots the girls did their own makeup/hair etc.
The blue look took about 15 minutes to create. The fabric was an old wreath that I took apart and the nails were paste-ons from Walmart as was the lipstick and eyeshadow.
Feel free to give me feedback or ask questions.
Hope I’ve helped!!!

Attachments

• AFC7E28F-4BEC-4CB3-A479-E758ADC11D48.jpeg
    AFC7E28F-4BEC-4CB3-A479-E758ADC11D48.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 207
  • 2E7B2D85-5A8A-494E-B9E0-231A0F96022F.jpeg
    2E7B2D85-5A8A-494E-B9E0-231A0F96022F.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 204
  • ACF92778-6957-4849-9EA0-60B750CBFAA2.jpeg
    ACF92778-6957-4849-9EA0-60B750CBFAA2.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 195
  • 76FC6105-4B66-489F-AD86-7D5847402888.jpeg
    76FC6105-4B66-489F-AD86-7D5847402888.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 205
1x. Photographers that make you feel.

Finding your own voice takes a great deal of effort, determination, and vision. I have found, as in most things, the vision evolves after a great deal of effort and determination. As Vincent van Gogh said, "great things are done by a series of small things brought together".

You poo poo'd grandpa Ron's comment, be careful, there is some substance there.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back