Bottom Line: Canon 430 EXII v. 580 EXII

YoungPic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what am i paying for besides pure power and ability to use the 580 as a slave? and what are any other differences between these two

Pretty much nothing. 580 has more power and can be a master, I think those are the only real differences. There are some small things like having a wheel to adjust power rather than the small button on the 430, but nothing to major.

correct me if I am wrong, but 580M2 has weathersealing whilst, I think, the 430 does not. Aside from that the differences as are Ryan points out - more power and master function with the 580 as well as a different control layout.
Some people have said that they much prefer the wheel layout of the 580, myself I have never used a 430 so can't comment on the difference

what am i paying for besides pure power and ability to use the 580 as a slave? and what are any other differences between these two

The 580 can be used as a master or a slave. The 430 can only be used as a slave.

580 is more powerful.

580 Has power reduction in 1/3 stops down to 1/128th power. 430 is 1/3 stops down to 1/64th power.

580 has an off camera terminal,(PC connector). 430 does not.

580 is more powerful.

580 Has power reduction in 1/3 stops down to 1/128th power. 430 is 1/3 stops down to 1/64th power.

580 has an off camera terminal,(PC connector). 430 does not.
:thumbup:

Plus;
-the 580 has a port for an external battery, the 430 does not.
-the 580 swivels 180 degrees in both directions, the 430 does not.
-the 580 II has a built-in sensor for it's own metering...like old 'Auto Thyristor' flash units. (although, I've seen that the metering is poor)
-the 580 has a nice wheel control, the 430 has crescent buttons which are a pain. Although, I don't have to push them very often while shooting.
-the 580 recycles faster (I think) and because it's more powerful, it would use a lower power setting than the 430 in the same situation, so that would also give it a recycling advantage.

In practical terms though, the 430EX is still a great flash, and if you don't specifically need the additional features that the 580EX has, then you would probably be very happy with the 430 for a long time.

I own both, so just to fill in the other side of what the 430 does not have...
The 430 fits in the side pocket of my sling bag, the 580 does not.
The 430 is physically smaller so it doesnt stand out as tall on top of the camera. Less chance of banging into something.
They are both excellent flashes, but the 580 is only required for very large rooms other than the reasons you listed in the original post. At about half the cost, get a 430 and use it, if you need/want more power, or the master/slave functionality, you will want both of them anyway so then add the 580 as required.

Most reactions

Back