Bronica ETRS mirror

Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've just got me a Bronica ETRS. I've got my first film loaded up in it. But when I take a picture the mirror goes up (obviously) but then doesn't return to position until I wind the film on and re-cock the shutter. i.e. I can't see anything through the viewfinder. Is that normal? I'm a bit puzzled because the mirror was down before I took the first shot on the film and there's nothing to suggest this in the manual.

Thanks.

That's right, I believe. Mine's out in the car, so I can't check right now, but I seem to remember that the mirror stays up until the film is advanced.

All Bronicas do not have instant return mirrors. Nothing wrong. You'll get use to it quickly.

The other thing to watch for is that when you use the mirror lock-up, remember to release it before you wind on the film, because otherwise you will trip the shutter again as you do so. Still catches me out.

hah! snap, the camera took me a couple of hours to get my head around, im starting to love it though!! Not the most ergonomic piece of kit though...

Mine does this too. The mirror stays open until the film winds on. But if this is correct, how does the light stop getting to the film?

Mine does this too. The mirror stays open until the film winds on. But if this is correct, how does the light stop getting to the film?
The mirror is just that - it reflects light up into the viewfinder. It is not a shutter. The shutter is in the lens and closes as soon as the picture is exposed.

When you wind the film on, the second shutter (behind the mirror) closes, the mirror comes down and the main shutter in the lens opens.

Most reactions

Back