Brother and family c+c please

ayen75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
$image-1390045974.jpg

Do I not want my subject to stand out from the background? I'm new so just asking

There are three major things wrong with this, imo.

The family is posed very awkwardly and straight
The lighting on the family is way too even and generally uninteresting
The background is too bright, too in focus and too intrusive. (they look pasted on)

Lew

In my opinion, you want to have the people match the light in the background..so it looks natural, but you have to be careful so that you dont get weird shadows or ghostly people. I am sure someone with more experience can explain it better.

The way the concrete goes straight at about their waist makes the green look like another photo. It doesn't blend well... I think that's what the poster above was talking about.

Good-looking family! I think the pose is fine, sometimes you do a tight, formal shot, and other times you have them posed more casually. My problem is with the lighting. It appears that you used the on-camera flash, but what that did was to flatten the light. Please try this again, using the flash off camera, or simply for fill flash, if it is on the camera. So you need the main light coming from a reflector or another light off camera. Try to get the light to "model" their features, with some highlights and shadow (not harsh light, nor deep shadow either).

Do I not want my subject to stand out from the background? I'm new so just asking

Yes, naturally you want the main subject to be differentiated from the background, but I am wondering if you did any post-processing on this to "sharpen" the outlines?

Most reactions

Back