Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis)

dolina

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) by alabang, on Flickr

The Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) is a distinctively coloured, highly dispersive, medium-sized rail of the family Rallidae. This species comprises several subspecies found throughout much of Australasia and the south-west Pacific region, including the Philippines (where it is known as Tikling), New Guinea, Australia, New Zealand (where it is known as the Banded Rail or Moho-pereru in Māori),[2] and numerous smaller islands, covering a range of latitudes from the tropics to the Subantarctic.

It is a largely terrestrial bird the size of a small domestic chicken, with mainly brown upperparts, finely banded black and white underparts, a white eyebrow, chestnut band running from the bill round the nape, with a buff band on the breast. It utilises a range of moist or wetland habitats with low, dense vegetation for cover. It is usually quite shy but may become very tame and bold in some circumstances, such as in island resorts within the Great Barrier Reef region.[3]

The Buff-banded Rail is an omnivorous scavenger which feeds on a range of terrestrial invertebrates and small vertebrates, seeds, fallen fruit and other vegetable matter, as well as carrion and refuse. Its nest is usually situated in dense grassy or reedy vegetation close to water, with a clutch size of 3-4. Although some island populations may be threatened, or even exterminated, by introduced predators, the species as a whole appears to be safe and its conservation status is considered to be of Least Concern.

Source: Buff-banded Rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taken: Los Baños, Laguna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Settings: 1/200 ƒ/8 ISO 100 800mm

First time I've seen this one, very unusual and well taken. Interesting feather markings and I like the layering of the back feathers, very nice.

All the best.

Danny.

What Danny and Raj said.

Most reactions

Back