Buffalo Zoo Photos (Pic Heavy)

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yes, I know that going to the zoo to photograph wildlife is basically cheating. But I've been sick of being stuck inside and we got an extremely rare 70 degree day for February in Buffalo, so I decided to head down to the zoo for a several hour photo walk to get some fresh air and put my new D500 through some more testing. The animals were enjoying the weather as much as I was, and were more active than I've ever seen zoo animals before.

As far as the camera, I'm still blown away. It's exceeding my expectations. Anyway here's some of my favorite shots from the day. If you'd like to see the whole gallery (34 Photos) on my website, click here.

Thanks for looking!

1.) Big Horn Sheep
Batavian-101-XL.jpg

2.) Playful Lion Cub
Batavian-103-XL.jpg

3.) Siberian Tiger. This is nearly a 100% crop and really demonstrates the sharpness of the Tamron 70-200 2.8+D500 Combo
Batavian-105-XL.jpg

4.)
Batavian-107-XL.jpg

5.)
Batavian-118-XL.jpg

6.) Caught this guy itching his ear with a twig. This one might be my favorite.
Batavian-120-XL.jpg

7.) Cockroaches
Batavian-124-XL.jpg

8.) Lunch Time. Had action shots of him chomping down, but they were too overexposed to save. Highlights on the splashing water reflected too much light.
Batavian-131-XL.jpg

9.) Arctic Fox's nap time
Batavian-129-XL.jpg

10.) Almost missed this guy hiding in the trees. The Buffalo zoo has a pretty incredible indoor rainforest exhibit.
Batavian-133-XL.jpg

Nice set.

I don't see it as cheating. A zoo may be the only way some will ever see certain other animals, as they don't have the resources to travel to far-away places. A zoo may also be the only place to see some animals, as they no longer exist in the wild.

Zoo photography isn't cheating unless you're trying to pass it off as wild shots ;) Otherwise zoos are challenges all unto themselves. With bars and cages; wires and grids; backgrounds that are busy and full of undesirables; people getting in the way; noises; animals that are often at rest for the majority of the day etc... There are loads of challenges all of their own.

And I really like what you've got here!
6 is fantastic - close cropped with an outstanding and very humanish expression on the face and made all the better with the bit of stick as well.

Excellent set. Went to the zoo myself yesterday. Took more photos of the breeding Grey Heron 'community' than zoo animals.

Great set and #6 may be my favorite too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back