Bulk Prints, negatives and slide scanning services?

What quality scans are we talking about here?

It seems like sending out the large format negs, and just buying a dedicated medium and small format scanner and hiring a temp to put them through would be most cost effective.

Nikon Coolscan 9000s can still be had or if you wanted new a Plustek with an extra set of film holders (to load one while the other is in use) would/should work pretty well

Plustek OpticFilm 120 Film Scanner Review

Sadly we cannot justify an extra person to do just scanning. We are way too busy to do it ourselves so that is why we wanted to send it out and just have it done and out of our hair.

You of course know better than I, it just seemed to me that if you had 100K @ $0.30 each you'd be looking at $30,000. Spending even $3000 on a scanner would leave you $27000 that you could spend on labor costs and still break even.

Temps don't usually cost that much and they go away when the job is done. :)

100k of images is not bad at all I work at a history library and we did almost 1.5 million scans of various record types and and photographs this last quarter, and we will do 4 million plus this year.

I've heard good things about http://www.scancafe.com
All done by hand ? :???:

Not all of it some documents go through auto sheet fed scanners, microfilm scanning has a fairly automated process, but all photos, slides and negatives, glass plates etc get done by hand.
This is a huge job but necessary.

You of course know better than I, it just seemed to me that if you had 100K @ $0.30 each you'd be looking at $30,000. Spending even $3000 on a scanner would leave you $27000 that you could spend on labor costs and still break even.

Temps don't usually cost that much and they go away when the job is done. :)

I should rephrase that, we cannot justify it to upper management. I'd love to hire someone to do it and oversee the process but no such luck.

Most reactions

Back