Burst mode question

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have just started toying around with burst mode on my Nikon D7100. I am obviously doing something incorrectly, because when compressing the shutter, I hear just 3 clicks and only one image is stored.

I went out this morning to shoot some birds, thinking burst mode would be ideal for capturing a nice shot. Same thing happened - just a few clicks, and not every image seemed to be captured.

I was under the impression that, with burst, you could fire off a string of 5, 6, 7 ore more shots in a manner of a second or two.

Also, weirdly, a few times two or more captures were combined into one image; looked like a double exposure from a film camera.

I expect it's just a setting I had improperly set. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I use canon but what is being described sounds like a bracketed shot
1 shot at setting , 1 over exposed by a stop and 1 u dear by a stop ends up one image
It’s so e thing my camera will do if I set it but I am old school, er see avatar, so I do it manually

Just been on www basic bing search
Looked at d7100
You have to set the camera in continuous hi or slow mode to get the burst of shots

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure which SD card, I will have to look.

Yes, I tried using both Hi and Slow modes.

It seems like its trying to burst, but it's more of a sputter. The frames I fire off are not evenly spaced, there is some hesitation (as if the camera is "re-grouping" before the next shot).

I'll futz around with it some more.

are you looking at the pictures on camera or on your computer? one of my cameras was setup to show burst shots as 1 photo on the camera as the default setting. i had to find a setting in the menu to show all shots separately. but regardless of how the camera showed them, they were all there on the computer.

Sound more and more like a sd card problem
I use class 10

A few thoughts:

1) Double check your cameras manual and go through the settings you've got enabled. It might be that you've enabled a different mode than you think you have or that you've activated something else in the past that is now messing up your attempt to use a burst of shots. Double exposures shouldn't happen normally so something odd is going on. Check the camera and settings first and foremost.
If you like you can also reset to factory settings through the cameras main menu. Depending how familiar you are and how much you've custom setup you might or might not want to do this.

2) Memory cards have two speeds associated with them. A reading speed, which is how fast data can be read off the card; and a writing speed which is how fast a computer (or camera) can write to the card. For most cards the reading speed is faster than the writing and when only one speed is mentioned (eg in an ad) its typically the faster, ergo the reading speed. Your camera has specifications (you can likely find online) which will not its fastest writing speed.
You ideally want a memory card that can be written too as fast as your camera can write. Any faster and you've a little buffer of speed, but that just means you ensure your camera is writing as fast as it can - it can't go faster than its specification. Any slower and it means that, esp with burst shots, your camera will hit its buffer and slow down much sooner

Do you have multiple exposure mode turned on. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause burst mode to record on one image.

Do you have multiple exposure mode turned on. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause burst mode to record on one image.

dunfly, you may have nailed it. Or at least part of it.

I think I may have enable multiple exposure mode thinking that term was equivalent to burst mode (I know better, just had a momentary lapse of reason). At one point I said screw it and clicked on "restore to default settings", so the multiple exposures went away.

I have just started toying around with burst mode on my Nikon D7100. I am obviously doing something incorrectly, because when compressing the shutter, I hear just 3 clicks and only one image is stored.

Thanks!

Are you shooting in Live View, and have you chosen HDR as a picture style?

Steve Thomas

Most reactions

Back