Buying my first SLR... decisions decisions decisions

Guanny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've wanted to do photography since high school, but the cameras just seemed so expensive and intimidating. And I didn't think I was artistic enough. I'm a couple of years out of university now, and have finally decided to use my paltry savings to buy a camera. I think I'll be mainly using them to document the rest of my year in Beijing, then taking pretty photos of scenery back home in New Zealand, and probably taking photos of food, since I'm a foodie and am quite active on some food forums, and of course I'll be taking photos of family and friends.

The choices I'm wavering between:

Canon EOS 550D- this was the first recommendation I received. By a friend who was also a beginner. It seemed to have mostly good reviews, although some complained it's a bit cheap.

Canon 50/60D- I was told by a colleague: 'buy a 550 and you will regret it in a year!'. He was very stern and freaked me out a bit. He said it was definitely worth the investment in a 50D at least. But these are more expensive, also, heavier, and I'm concerned about having it lug it around New Zealand mountains.

Nikon D90- Recommended by a photographer friend. the reviews for these are all very favourable. I think this one is the strongest contender at the moment. Haven't heard anything bad about it yet.

So I'm deciding between these at the moment.

Also trying to decide between buying them here in Beijing or Hong Kong.

If I buy it in Beijing, I can get it NOW NOW NOW. :blushing: Also, I can shop around for bargains.

But if I wait until March, I can get it in Hong Kong. Which is apparently cheaper. But I can't shop around for bargains because I'm only there for 3 days and I don't know the place well. Also, I would be screwed if anything broke as I won't be able to go back to return it.

So anyway... I'm totally conflicted right now. But hopefully I'll decide soon, and then I can start sharing pics of Beijing hutongs! :)

If anyone has any advice for me RE: camera types or BJ vs. HK for prices, please do reply. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! x

It's good you've narrowed it down, you'll get a much warmer welcome I think. :) I haven't used any of the models you mentioned, but you mentioned weight is a factor. I think most of the upper-end models are going to be heavier and larger, so you'll need to compromise one way or the other.

I'm already a Canon guy, but if I had to choose between the above listed models, if I was buying new, and if price wasn't a concern, I'd get the d90. Nikon has better hotshoe flashes available than Canon, from what I've read. I was actually looking for a d90, but saw the 40d at a good price on CL so had to get it (I usually only buy used).

I would say go to a camera store, get the 50D and D90 out, play with them both, buy whichever feels right. Either camera can take great pictures.

Allan

Cheers Bazooka and Allan! Thanks for the prompt welcome.

I've planned a trip to a well-known local camera store this weekend, to see which camera feels the best. :) But I definitely want to have a good idea of what I want, and my budget, before I go.

Unfortunately I look younger than my 22 years, and I'm one of those people who just look like easy targets for persuasive salespeople. So I need to narrow it down before I head in, or I'll come out penniless! Too bad I'm not as good at putting on a mean face as my mum... When she does this :grumpy:, nobody tries to rip her off.

I'm very excited about this purchase. I've been browsing around this forum, looking at other people's photos. Can't wait to try it out myself!

I'm not sure how big you are or anything, but the 50D isn't what I would call heavy. I never feel like I'm lugging it around....well not unless I have both my flash and bigger lens on it, that adds some weight. But outdoors with a neckstrap, you'll be fine!

I first bought a Rebel (kin to your 550D suggestion) and while I didn't really REGRET it, I almost immediately wanted MORE camera than it offered. I love my 50D and have no thoughts of upgrading past it....yet.

I have a 40D, and there are only two things I don't like about it.... it's a crop sensor, and it doesn't do high ISO well, at least in my experience with it. Most of my shots are on-tripod and motionless, so the ISO part doesn't bother me much. But I would love to have a full frame camera. Just so darn expensive.

I have a 40D, and there are only two things I don't like about it.... it's a crop sensor, and it doesn't do high ISO well, at least in my experience with it. Most of my shots are on-tripod and motionless, so the ISO part doesn't bother me much. But I would love to have a full frame camera. Just so darn expensive.

:lol:Wow, I'm learning things already...Had to google crop sensor to understand your message. Well the Nikon has 1.5 crop factor while the Canon has 1.6. So that's something to take into consideration.

I'm not sure how big you are or anything, but the 50D isn't what I would call heavy. I never feel like I'm lugging it around....well not unless I have both my flash and bigger lens on it, that adds some weight. But outdoors with a neckstrap, you'll be fine!

I first bought a Rebel (kin to your 550D suggestion) and while I didn't really REGRET it, I almost immediately wanted MORE camera than it offered. I love my 50D and have no thoughts of upgrading past it....yet.

hmmm well I'm 5'1 and kinda weak... I mean I don't mind carrying it around town or something, but if I'm going to hike in New Zealand bushes with it for hours at a time, then weight is definitely going to be an important factor.
I definitely worry about wanting 'more camera' if I get one that's too basic. I can't afford to keep buying new gear, so this definitely needs to keep me satisfied for a couple of years at least. Thanks for sharing!

I have owned both the Canon 550/T2i, and the 60D. I currently have the 60D. Both are excellent cameras. I went with the 60D because of the moveible screen, and the slightly better build quality over the 550/T2i.
The only Nikon Cameras I have owned were SLR's F3HP and F4, both 35mm film cameras. When I went DSLR, I choose Canon due to the amount of interchangible lenses availible, and the glass is more cost efficante than Nikon. Both Nikon and Canon are great camera makers. I would suggjest that you go to a Camera store and hold each model, and see what feels best in your hands, because that does make a huge difference. Good luck and I hope you find what you want, and have years of enjoyment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back