Buying off-brand Strobes..

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone reccommend this? All I currently have is two continuous monolights and an SB-600. Having 180W_Strobes would help tremendously. I already have two light stands, one shoot-through umbrella, and one reflector umbrella so I wouldnt need them. I would also purchase another shoot-through umbrella and possibly a softbox or two. What are your thoughts on these particular flashes?

Mark

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I thought the lower-priced, 180 watt-second ones at $55 each looked okay for the price.
I'd consider these as sort of disposables; I'd rather own two of the 180 watt-second models than one single 300 watt-second unit...I'd think that buying four or five of the lower-priced, $55 ones would make some sense.

For $55 it's probably on the junky side .. but then again it's $55 so who cares. It won't take long to say I got my money worth out of them. So I say it's a good deal .. go for it.

I think I will, just to get started. After that, the proceeds made by having them can fund better ones. :thumbsup:

Mark

Depends on the brand. Like I would purchase Calumet over generic Ebay stuff as they can use Elinchrom modifiers.

I ordered one of those 750 Watt kits for my students at school. It was $339 Canadian and came with three stands, two soft boxes, two umbrellas a barn door, grid and some gels. It even includes a wireless flash remote. We have used this tirelessly,including a 300 shot shoot for the prom. My only beef is that my FF camera can only synch to a max of 1/160th. Fast enough for portrait work, but I found out today, not fast enough for other purposes.

I researched them before buying and there didn't seem to be any major issues. They are the 250DI models that you see on ebay. I have noticed lots of others that look similar but have been debranded. The silver models in one of your posts reminds me of the DI models we have.

So they work fairly well? How long have you had them and used them, so I know how well theyre holding up for you.

Mark

So they work fairly well? How long have you had them and used them, so I know how well theyre holding up for you.

Mark

We got them last October and we are still on the original bulbs. During a typical school day, they will get used two to four shoots. We use them for all our formal group yearbook photos (teams, award winners, clubs etc). Plus I used them two hours straight shooting all the couples at this year's prom.

Thats impressive for a bay special. I just may have to give this one a go.. Thanks so much. If you have any comments on them, Id love to hear it. :)

Mark

Thats impressive for a bay special. I just may have to give this one a go.. Thanks so much. If you have any comments on them, Id love to hear it. :)

Mark

What ever you end up with please share info and or a review.

Most reactions

Back