Buzkashi D3X 200mm

wildpix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wildpix.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Managed to get along to another match despite the lack of vehicles available, was great, weather was brill, hot even, (very unlike Afghanistan in january), however I was suffering from kabul flu, and not really 100%, and I made a big mistake in lowering iso to 160, should have probably upped it from the 200iso used the week before to compensate for my poor performance. This camera is NOT forgiving!, still, got some reasonable shots, just not as many keepers as I would have liked. The action was still awesome, I put up the prize for one goal, without realizing my name would then be called out for the next 10 mins (apparently, martin is a 'heavy' name in Dari :), the action really was intense, these guys are literally galloping towards me, with the blue guy lying on his horse sideways pulling on the calf, the crop is better. Buzkashi is like Afghanistan in general, total chaos, few rules, violent, fast and furious, and although teams are present, sometimes its every man for himself. Not such a great game if you are a calf, but, this is Afghanistan, and its fantastic to watch, and the girls with me thought an incredibly romantic spectacle.

wildpix.net

WTF is that hanging off the horse?!?! Is that a calf?!?! All I can see is that whatever it is, it's VERY dead and it looks like the flesh is peeling off of it.

From Wikipedia:

The steppes' people were skilled riders who could grab a goat or calf from the ground while riding a horse at full gallop. The goal of a player is to grab the carcass of a headless goat or calf and then get it clear of the other players and pitch it across a goal line or into a target circle or vat. It is very dangerous.

Good stuff.

Sounds like fun to me... drag a dead headless animal across a field. Kind of like football, just more bloody...

American football or European rugby?

:lol:

OHHH I'd have to say European rugby. More likely to see a similar scene in that sport. Been wondering where you've been. I figured you'd chime in on the mac vs pc up in the beginners forum.

OHHH I'd have to say European rugby. More likely to see a similar scene in that sport. Been wondering where you've been. I figured you'd chime in on the mac vs pc up in the beginners forum.

What do you mean European Rugby there is only one Rugby, RUGBY

OHHH I'd have to say European rugby. More likely to see a similar scene in that sport.

:D Rugy... American football on steroids, and they kick around bodies after they tear off a few heads... lol

Been wondering where you've been. I figured you'd chime in on the mac vs pc up in the beginners forum.

Nah, I kinda stay away from the beginner's section. ;)

Guys, whereas i dont want to get into the Rugby v American Football debate, even though being a Brit there is no contest :) both games pale into comparison, and have played rugby and buzkashi. Buzkashi is rough, there is no Ref, no fouls, anything goes, literally, these guys play solidly for 3hrs, most using at least 3 horses, and when i say its tough, i mean tough, can you imagine being in the centre of a crowd of 30-50 horses (think rushhour on the tube,(subway) combined with horses), and then leaning down to pick up a 40kg weight, (which may or may not be stood on by any number of horses, while people are deliberately pushing through, using tactics that literally means the horse launching itself into the throng (these are all trained to rear on command to use their weight to move opponents. Still images just dont do justice to the chaos.
i do like rugby though :)
oh by the way, the use of whips against opponents horses or opponents themselves is an integral part of the game, real buzkashi riders wear slightly padded uniforms (and gloves) for this reason, have seen faces split open, and pretty major cuts on hands, doesnt stop them though :)

Last edited:
Guys, whereas i dont want to get into the Rugby v American Football debate, even though being a Brit there is no contest :) both games pale into comparison, and have played rugby and buzkashi. Buzkashi is rough, there is no Ref, no fouls, anything goes, literally, these guys play solidly for 3hrs, most using at least 3 horses, and when i say its tough, i mean tough, can you imagine being in the centre of a crowd of 30-50 horses (think rushhour on the tube,(subway) combined with horses), and then leaning down to pick up a 40kg weight, (which may or may not be stood on by any number of horses, while people are deliberately pushing through, using tactics that literally means the horse launching itself into the throng (these are all trained to rear on command to use their weight to move opponents. Still images just dont do justice to the chaos.
i do like rugby though :)
oh by the way, the use of whips against opponents horses or opponents themselves is an integral part of the game, real buzkashi riders wear slightly padded uniforms (and gloves) for this reason, have seen faces split open, and pretty major cuts on hands, doesnt stop them though :)

That sounds pretty abusive to all involved. Since I don't understand the cultural impact of the sport I won't say too much more than that, haha. All I know is I would NOT want to play. Looks fun to shoot though.

:D Rugy... American football on steroids, and they kick around bodies after they tear off a few heads... lol

Nah, I kinda stay away from the beginner's section. ;)

Ohhh so now you're too good for the Beginners section huh... :greenpbl:

It looks like my anatomy cat.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back