Byrd Theater and Maymont Park - Richmond VA

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was in Richmond for a few hours, got to meet back up with a college buddy and had just an hour of free time.

I was able to get into the Byrd Theater and snap a few pics, then I headed over to Maymont to hang out with the cold animals.

Byrd Theater by The Braineack, on Flickr
1/20 sec

Byrd Theater Ceiling by The Braineack, on Flickr

Byrd Theater - Harp by The Braineack, on Flickr

Byrd Theater - Upstairs Room by The Braineack, on Flickr

Byrd Theater - Upstairs Room by The Braineack, on Flickr

Gotta love VC.

Maymont Park Nature Center - Snapping Turtle by The Braineack, on Flickr

Up for Air by The Braineack, on Flickr

Otter Panning by The Braineack, on Flickr

Maymont Park Farm - Goat by The Braineack, on Flickr

#1 great detail and nice of the otter and goat

I really like the one of the windows but from the side. I always love shots like that where you can see sun come in, the colors and detail are great.

Very nice..love the harp.

I really like the one of the windows but from the side. I always love shots like that where you can see sun come in, the colors and detail are great.

I was really hoping I might catch the rays but surprisingly, no dust.

Yeah that would have been even more perfect but you have to respect their cleanliness. I have a friend that has used baby powder to create the effect when natural doesn't happen.

I bet if I had smacked those little benches... damn, I should have done that.

1,2,3,4,5 niceee

why do you hate the animals?!

oh, just for some history: The theater opened up in 1928 and it's pretty much as it was back then, it still has a working organ that rises up from in front of the stage that gets played every saturday, and It's still open 365 days a week.

It's about to undergo restorations--it really has never been touched. They are much needed.

The first movie I saw there was a midnight showing of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Everyone talks along to the litter intro before any movie. It's great:

The harp is my favorite but the ceiling is cool too, looks like a huge eye. I also like the otter. Nice set.

First of all Mr. Big Brain, this is lovely, lovely stuff. You capture such a great mood with your theater shots....so rich and warm and quiet. I love them all, especially the harp shot. And while the animal shots are nice, I think the Otter one is particularly good. Maybe b/c it's so counter/different from everything else in the set (which seems like a still-life, very precise and planned and the Otter is like "weeeeeeeee! Look at me folks!"

Second, had no idea you'd spent key formative years in Richmond. That explains a lot....just kidding. Now....I'd be interested in seeing any work you've done on Belle Isle. I'm intending to make a drive down there in Richmond to shoot...hoping I get some decent weather for it.

Really lovely pictures of the Byrd Theater. They look like paintings to me. The lighting is very well handled. Congrats!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back