What's new

c+c on automotive shoot!

jmac132

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 22, 2011
Messages
11
Reaction score
4
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys! looking for some c+c on my pics, i'm looking for some tips on how i can improve! these were shot with a d7000 and sigma 17-50mm f/2.8.. picture number 4 is my favorite!

1 $mkv2.webp
2$mkv3.webp
3$mkv4.webp
4$mkv1.webp
 
Your thread has been moved to the GeneralGallery per thedescription for the Beginner's Forum.
 
Overall not bad. I like them. A few things I may have tried would be on the first one, gotten just a bit closer and gone with a shallower dof. make that car stand out from the backgroun. the trees arn't bad, but don't really add anthing for me. the other shots, esp the closups, I would have tried to clean the car a bit better. esp. with a black car. Just nocks the photos down a notch or two. Overall I like the car as well. just a bit too much stretch for me tastes.
 
Overall not bad. I like them. A few things I may have tried would be on the first one, gotten just a bit closer and gone with a shallower dof. make that car stand out from the backgroun. the trees arn't bad, but don't really add anthing for me. the other shots, esp the closups, I would have tried to clean the car a bit better. esp. with a black car. Just nocks the photos down a notch or two. Overall I like the car as well. just a bit too much stretch for me tastes.

Thanks dude i appreciate the advice, i wasn't planning on shooting so i didn't wash it tonight :/ plus the bottom rockers are beat up from dragging my wheelchair in and out of it!
 
Wash it next time you go out to shoot, that second shot would be really good with the car all clean. But I have no right to complain, I dont wash mine enough either lol.
 
thanks guys! any other tips besides wash it next time?lol
 
i'd say just shoot for some more interestin backgrounds or as said shallower deapth of field to blut the backgrounds out. your angles are good. keeping it low is good. its just going to be the small stuff now that makes it better. maybe just watch your light. Getting a lot of reflection from the sun in the first pic. Maybe get out a few flashes and start working on lighting the car up, for me that is allot of fun. Especially when your working with the sun going down and trying to catch a brief moment in the days time. I usally try to move the car around so your getting diffrent shots. A bit more difficult and time consuming if your in a wheelchair, but will help give your shots a bit more variety. I try to work my way around the car and when the background doesnt work with that, flip the car around.
 
thanks so much dude, i appreciate it very much! i was thinking of picking up a sb910, i'd have no idea on how to expose right with it tho lol you're talking about off camera flash right?
 
yeah, to really light up a car you should have a couple. I use a SB-900 but also picked up a pair of vivitar 285's. cheap and work great you can problaby pick up 4 285's for the price of the SB but I also think its nice to have one flash that you can use on camera with TTL capabilities. course then you need stands and umbrellas or softboxes and receivers. and then it starts getting out of control lol.
 
haha lighting really confuses me, recommend anything to read or anything like that?
 
I'm learning it myself. just reading everything I can. but for me allot of it comes to just getting out there. doing setups and actually seeing the results and how things and placement affect it.
 
The 2nd one would best be redone by including the whole side of the car to show off the camber. Even then, I'd still have to play around with it. The last two the crops are too tight.

The first one is the strongest of the bunch, so I'll focus on that. As others have said, a shallower DOF would help make your car pop in the frame. It also would reduce the effect of having the trees looking like they are growing out of the top of the car. However, I think a city-scape or industrial area would be better suited as a back drop. You said this was kind of an impromptu shoot, so I think you did well on the fly!

A CPL would help reduce the reflection and saturate the colors better. It really is a must for auto photography! I also desaturate blue on the car in some shots, depending on the reflection.

As for the V-Dub, if you really wanted to get an accurate shot, it should be up on jack stands with the hood open. ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom