C&C on my first RAW edits, thanks :)

It may just be me, but in the first one it seems that the focus was on his hair and got OOF from there.

Its just you. The focus was most definitely on his eyes in this picture. Although I'm a beginner and have to probably still delete 70% of the pictures I take, I dont even bother editing pictures if my focus isnt spot on. This image may not be razor sharp (which is a feat all in itself trying to photograph a 2 year old) but, the focus is where it should be. Speaking of focus, since i started using back button focus I definitely toss less pictures.

On a child, you had the right shutter speed but the aperture at 1.8 will cause problems with a moving object. If you use the calculator you'll notice at 5' away at f1.8 you only have .45 feet of plane of focus, this is not enough for any moving child or pet as they dart back and forth with little notice. You will need to use flash inside whether it's on camera or off for best results.

If you use the calculator you'll notice at 5' away at f1.8 you only have .45 feet of plane of focus,
When I plug a T3i, 50 mm lens, 5 foot focus distance, f/1.8 into that calculator, I get a total DOF of only 0.2 feet - (2.4 inches) that is .1 foot (49% - 1.18 inches) in front of the focus point, and .1 foot (51% - 1.22 inches) behind the focus point.

The camera in #1 was tilted down so the plane of focus was also tilted on a diagonal to both horizontal and vertical.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back