TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi guys
would like some C&C of this one please

IMGP4409bb.jpg

Cute kid.

The subject is centered, wich usually makes for a weak composition.
I think it's just a little underexposed too.

out of interest what makes you say its underexposed?

The background is very distracting, imo. I don't like seeing the other person in the shot, even if he is blurry. The kid is pretty much dead center which doesn't appeal to me. I think a tighter crop could also help. The exposure looks ok, perhaps if it was a little brighter the eyes may have popped more. Looks sharp on the eyes. Nice shot overall. Keep shooting and have fun!

Hi,
The image has a good start on lighting, but I think you might consider a couple of other areas concerning composition. The back round has a nice out of focus property but the person in the back round is very distracting. There is no apparent connection or purpose to the person being in the image. Another good thing to do generally with many portraits is to fill the frame. The little boy was well lit, but just kind of "there." Use your zoom to tighten the composition or move in a little with your fixed focal length lens. Your perspective was more or less straight on and too centered. You might try and move around some left or right and have your subject's shoulders at a 45 degree angle away from you. The boy will naturally turned his head toward where you already are. The image probably would have been better as a vertical instead of the horizontal because as said earlier the back round appeared to have no relevance to the overall image and the human torso is vertically oriented.

The lighting was very nice. Just a few composition adjustments would make it a great capture.

Dan

Only thing that bugs me is the aforementioned background and also the shadow on the left side of the face is a bit distracting.

thanks for your comments guys

as you would know with kids - sometimes its just what you can get - he stood still for a nanosecond and that was the time i had to focus and shoot, i agree with Greg and Dan with the background - but again no time to change it then and there

- the shadow on the left hand side of his face was just because the sun was on the right hand side (taken at about 7pm so sun almost at the horizon)

thanks again guys

Adrian

Not sure how or what you used to shoot it but the background is very hard to control in general - as you did well in blurring it with aperture etc - it still needs that one last glance before you shoot the shot...

I have a tendency to not take that last look either... and sometimes you just cannot take that look... - as you shoot more portrait work you will get a good feel for how your specific lens defocusses the background and how far you need to seperate the subject from the background to obtain the look you are trying to get...

Its a decent shot of a cute kid - sadly when you ask a bunch of photographers the first thing I see is an arm sticking out of his neck...

I'd have to agree with the others on the background....it was the first thing I thought when I saw the photo. I think the lighting on him is fine. Not perfect, but that's what you get a lot of times when using natural lighting. Focus looks good. A little PP couldn't hurt, but it still won't fix the background, so maybe not worth the time.

Overall I like it, however, I would have framed it differently moving the boy to a side as well as cutting out some of the head room. The focus looks sharp.

Man in the background is a little distracting, but I understand you snapped the shot and he was in it, not a whole lot you can do there. Also, I'm not a 'in the center' kind of person, just my taste, sometimes it adds more to the picture if he's off to a side. Great start though!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back