C&C please

Jess11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a beginner and still trying to figure out the right exposure, and the right lens hahhaha. Many asked me why I use wide angle lens on the pictures below. I guess I try to get as much background in as possible. Maybe its a mistake : |
Camera - canon eos30D
Lens - Sigma 10-20 mm
Location - forest ( rain cloud overhead ) - trying to achive the mysterious look on the pictures below
Pic 1,2 natural light w reflector
Pic 3, 4 , 5 430EXII w softbox on model left
PP at Lightroom
ISO 200, 20mm, f5.6, 1/100

_MG_2182.jpg

_MG_2180.jpg

_MG_2249.jpg

_MG_2244.jpg

_MG_2234.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone?????

I like the color versions much more than the B&W's as they are losing out on the feel of the forest. #1 and #2 are fairly nice especially with the lighting. I don't like tilt on #1. I think you should try finding a way to make her "pop" just a little bit more compared to the background. Could be achieved with some lighting or framing the photos closer to her.

I like 1 & 2, the lighting is really cool. The branches in the front on 3 are distracting and I don't like the B&W in the last 3 I think it looses a lot of detail and she seems to fade in the background. From what I can tell from my iPhone they look sharp and in focus.

Thanks for the comments. I guess i either has to change the lens or get closer to the model which might risk of distortion. I agree that there are alot of distraction in Pic 3. Another down side on using wide angle lens on portrait :

The blocked up shadows are too much. You mentioned trying to get the right exposure. It's not an exposure problem it's a dynamic range problem. When the dynamic range is too extreme a right exposure is not possible.

Joe

While these are quite nice, there are some issues, I think.
Note that in #1, #2 there are bright spots just adjacent to the subject that draw the eye.
In #3 the path to a gate (?) and the subject are equally prominent leaving me undecided which was more important. Moving the subject to your left would have her overlapping the path a bit and settling the importance issue.
#4 her left leg is larger and more prominent and both legs are brighter than her face and arms thus drawing one's eye. Her head is also up against the margin, implying its not important.

I think 5 could be the most successful of the bunch. Interesting graceful pose, face lifted and lit well. Perhaps in the original you can create some distinction between her dress and the forest and get some detail in both.

feels a few stops underexposed overall...

also I've never understood the well dressed woman in the woods thing...

Oh...my...lord...number 2 is the keeper (if you could number your posts next thread, that'd be great)...that is one of the most poignant photos I have seen on here...brings me to the seventies for some reason...and I wasn't born until the late seventies...thank you sooooooo much for taking this...impressive!

Thanks again for the advice and comments.
clanthar - since I am a beginner, can you explain on "extreme dynamic range" and how can I fix it?
The Traveler - For Pic 1 and 2...do you think it will help if I use flash instead of reflector?

IMO, it seems like 1 and 2 are just slightly underexposed, you're losing detail in the darker branches and things. Other than that, I really liked the first two. The b&w doesn't capture the forest as well though.

Sorry if I am being redundant but in pic 1 she seems to be lost among the background. I love the background and I like her pose but my eye is drawn more to the scenery than to the model. Perhaps if you crop some of the background she would be the primary focus. I really like the other pics, especially the one with her sitting in the tree. Great job!

I think you have done a pretty decent job with the concept. These images are a lot nicer than a lot of the drivel we often see from beginner photographers. You have described what you attempted, the gear you used and then presented some thought out photos. Thank you for making an effort.

The only issue I want to comment on is your use of a wide angle lens when photographing people, especially pretty girls. Try and pose them with most of their body equidistant from the camera. In photos 1 and 2 her feet and hands are closer to the camera than the rest of her, this does elongate her lovely legs but unfortunately it also makes her feet and hands appear disproportionately large.

Thanks for posting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back