Cactus Remote trigger with third party flash?

Zippo85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to flash photography because i've never liked the look of on camera flash. Now im trying to get together a setup for wireless triggering.
I have a Canon Eos 450d (XSi) an i was wondering if the Cactus remote trigger systems would work with this camera and a Sigma EF 530 DG ST?

i havent bought the remote trigger nor the flash yet. But i would rather not pay $150 more just to get a flash that says Canon on the side. if the Sigma flash setup would work.

Bare in mind that i have absolutely no experiense with flash units so this might be a dumb question.

Cheers
Rasmus

They should work with any flash.

In fact, using them with a Canon (or even a dedicated Sigma) flash is sort of a waste because you only have firing control over the flash. All of the automatic E-TTL flash metering that you get when the flash is on the camera, is useless with a radio trigger like this.

Check out THIS KIT...it comes with the flash, the radio triggers, a light stand, umbrella and mounting bracket...basically everything you need to get started.

But if you do want to sometimes use the flash on-camera, with E-TTL, then it would make sense to get a Canon (or dedicated off brand) unit.

According to the manufacturer site

V2s
"Sigma EF-530 DG Super, EF-530 DG ST (for Nikon only), EF-500 DG Super, EF-500 DG ST (for Nikon only), EF-430;"

Link

V4
Sigma EF-530 DG Super, EF-530 DG ST (for Nikon only), EF-500 DG Super, EF-500 DG ST (for Nikon only), EF-430;

Link

Thanks for the fast reply.
So what you are saying is that it will work but it would have to set the settings on the flash manual right?
The reason i want to buy the sigma flash is that it supports TTL and all that. I had a feeling it wouldn't transmit TTL data but i want to be able to use the TTL features if i put it on the camera or via a cable perhaps.

So what you are saying is that it will work but it would have to set the settings on the flash manual right?
That's correct.

The reason i want to buy the sigma flash is that it supports TTL and all that. I had a feeling it wouldn't transmit TTL data but i want to be able to use the TTL features if i put it on the camera or via a cable perhaps.
Good idea. Although, I've heard from plenty of people that they don't really like the build quality of the Sigma compared to Canon units...but I also know a few who do use them and like them.

What about a Canon 430EX? A fair bit less expensive than the 580 but still pretty good.

If you haven't see it yet...the ultimate site for all things 'off camera flash' is Strobist

Dang....didn't see the "Nikon only" part. Guess i have to upgrade to the Canon Speedlite system.
That 430EX II is kinda in my prize range, so its not a real big problem.

As for the Strobist blog: thats what got me interrested in the first place:lol:

Last edited:
What about just using the flash without any TTL and set the aperture/shutter speed manually?

If you are going this route and going to use manual mode, I am not sure I would spend the $$$ on the Canon flashes. Plenty of people do exactly what you are getting ready to do. Many of them use the VIvitar 285HV flashed for $90 on EBAY.

Check out sites like strobist.com and look at their lighting 101 and 102 modules. You will see those flashes in use. If you are not going to use TTL, and I think you are btter using manual mode for studio work with speedlights, then save the funds and go for the cheaper flashes.

If you are going this route and going to use manual mode, I am not sure I would spend the $$$ on the Canon flashes. Plenty of people do exactly what you are getting ready to do. Many of them use the VIvitar 285HV flashed for $90 on EBAY.

They're $90 everywhere... I would in that case avoid eBay like the plague. Adorama, B&H and MPEX all have them for that amount.

To each their own. However, Ebay has Windows Live Cashback. It's at 10% right now. I just buy from power sellers, which usually have thousands of feedback entries and are usually a very safe bet. This saves $20 on 2 flashes withch covers half of your cost for the triggers.

To each their own. However, Ebay has Windows Live Cashback. It's at 10% right now. I just buy from power sellers, which usually have thousands of feedback entries and are usually a very safe bet. This saves $20 on 2 flashes withch covers half of your cost for the triggers.
clear.gif

Very good tip, but I have a personal grudge against Ebay, Amazon and Adorama can have my money :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back