Calling upon a professional photojournalist

Megan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
To the members of TPF, I ask if there is someone around involved within the media industry. It would be ever so great if a professional photographer involved in the media would answer the followin survey for me, for an assignment of mine;

Name:

The business you are in:

The title of your job:

Which sector of the production process do you belong to:

What training you have undertaken:

What are your qualifications:

A description of your job:

The tasks and roles you undertake:

The weaknesses and strengths of your media profession:

Any issues affecting the future of your job (e.g: your field has been made redundant with the advent of new technology):

Most rewarding aspects of your job:

General comments and advice you would give to young people wishing to enter into your field of the media industry:

I would be so grateful if someone whom this survey applies to would take the time to answer the questions comprehensively. :blushing:

Oh, and including a photograph of yourself is optional.

Thanks once again,
Megan.

since your in australia, look up xsight photography, its like xsight.com.au or somthing, Jerry Ghionis is the owner, anyways he is an amazing business man and photographer. he does weddings mainly, however his marketing and advertising skills are unheard of. i know you said photoj, but if there are general questions,the insight he may have to offer will probobly exceed that of any other photogs you can reach.

Philip Weir said:
Hi "Megan" I'm involved in the advertising industry in Sydney. Don't know if I can be of any help. If I can , just let me know.

www.philipweirphotography.com

I've just joined an advertising company, in Melbourne. Not in a creative role, however.

Would be interesting to swap experiences etc sometime.

Luminosity said:
I've just joined an advertising company, in Melbourne. Not in a creative role, however.

Would be interesting to swap experiences etc sometime.

No problem "Luminosity" Checked your images, they look good, you probably should be in the creative section of your agency. Now only 8 months and 1 day. Good luck. Philip:lol:

Philip Weir said:
Hi "Megan" I'm involved in the advertising industry in Sydney. Don't know if I can be of any help. If I can , just let me know.
No need for quotation marks; my name really is Megan. ;)

I'm looking through your site now (took me ages to load, I'm on the crumbiest dial-up connection you can get), you are exactly the type of person I'm looking for! If it would be convenient for you, maybe you could PM me with answers to the questions? Thanks so much for replying, I honestly thought that no one would. ;)

Nice photography, by the way. I'm such a beginner compared to all of you. :)

Name: Craig

The business you are in: Publishing full time and freelance photography on the side

The title of your job: Why?

Which sector of the production process do you belong to: I do (70%)photography (30%) prepress production at the paper.

What training you have undertaken: BFA Photography. I have been in the Graphic Arts since high school. On the job training.

What are your qualifications: Experience.

A description of your job: The art department provides my services to clients if they do not wish to hire an outside photographer. Photo editor on all special sections. Prepress involves pagination of files. Outputting film and burning plates. Freelance is basically running my own photography business.

The tasks and roles you undertake: Location and studio shots for advertising clients. Editorial content of all special sections. Outputting film and burning plates. Freelance biz requires me to control everything from promotion/sales to paying bills to maintaining gear.

The weaknesses and strengths of your media profession: We publish everything except for books. Actually we did publish a book. Once. I think we are still eating the costs of that one. Strengths are quality material that everyone reads. Consistent award winner in the field. Weakness is that the cost of production is high. That cost is only offset because we provide a daily a weekly and biannual magazines plus a web site.

Any issues affecting the future of your job (e.g: your field has been made redundant with the advent of new technology): We are in a particular position because we live in vacationland U.S.A. Plus it is fairly remote and "small town". People will always pick up our products because we are the main contenders in print media around here. We slightly worry about the web. Corporate take over is also a minor concern.

Most rewarding aspects of your job: Quality work. The people I meet, the clients and most all the folks I work with.

General comments and advice you would give to young people wishing to enter into your field of the media industry: Tough racket it, but it pays well. If you love the arts stay in it. Push yourself harder.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back