Camara to newcomer

RAiY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi comrades.

The point is this:

I'm relatively new to photography (newcomer status) and want to recommend me a good camera that is economically and allow me experiement albeit very basic form.

The use I will give it is the following: women (mainly) in all its possibilities and ways ... more those that occur to me, heh, heh, heh ..., couples, landscaping, urban planning and interior design, flora and fauna, nature, portrait, black and white and my dear astronomical and cosmological sky.

(This last paragraph I have stuck in many forums and I'll just translating; I'm too lazy to rework it... he, je, he).

Gracias de antemano.

Welcome!

Sure glad you decided to specialize.

O.K., with all that, I think you're going to want a DSLR because you'll want several different lenses, lots of control, and the use of flash.

So what kind of money are we talking about?

Nikoen D3300 with its 18-55mm kit lens is a good camera to start with which is very reasonably priced.

Buying a camera is like buying shoes in the sense that they will fit everyone differently. Even if you're just getting started a DSLR is never a bad choice - you may not know what features you want or even how to use it but the nice thing is it really doesn't matter where you start; the more you use it the more it will all make sense then when it comes time to upgrade you'll know exactly what you want.

Do you have a budget? Have you picked a brand? Obviously Canon and Nikon are the two leading names; but you might consider researching lenses first. DSLR cameras all work relatively the same way and will have pretty much the same features and capabilities; but lenses will take you much farther with composition. Identifying your target subject matter is the first step (which sounds like portraits & still life) so try searching for "Best Lenses for (Portrait, Still Life, etc) photography. Investing research, time, and money into a versatile lens will last you decades while the camera body can be changed out and upgraded as often as you'd like. Not all lenses are compatible with all cameras (even if they're the same brand; usually it's the auto focus which may or may not be important to you) so if you pick the lens first it'll narrow the options and that can make the camera body an easy choice.

Ask around and see if any friends or relatives have camera equipment they'd be willing to donate or sell to you for cheap - that can make the choice even easier.

Also, starting with a model that's a few years old can save you lots of money up front and allow you to jump right in. New models are released all the time and yes they come out with new technology advances with each generation, but the main difference is MP. Don't feel like you have to get the latest and biggest MP size - you can still do a lot with a 14, 12, even 10MP camera. Even though the Top 5 selling cameras on Amazon all have 20+MP remember not that long ago 10MP was "Excessive and Unheard of!"

Rule of thumb is start small; this camera isn't the last one you'll ever buy - you can always grow & upgrade. Starting small will help you learn what features you like and identify what you want next. However you don't really need to upgrade until you feel for sure you've outgrown what you already have. Bottom line: invest in a cheaper camera body and a more expensive lens. Camera bodies come & go, but good lenses last a lifetime.

Welcome!

Sure glad you decided to specialize.

O.K., with all that, I think you're going to want a DSLR because you'll want several different lenses, lots of control, and the use of flash.

So what kind of money are we talking about?

Thanks for your suggestion Designer.

Well, as for the money it refers, I thought of a maximum of $ 200 dls; as you can see I do not have to much.

¿What can be done with this amount?

Buying a camera is like buying shoes in the sense that they will fit everyone differently. Even if you're just getting started a DSLR is never a bad choice - you may not know what features you want or even how to use it but the nice thing is it really doesn't matter where you start; the more you use it the more it will all make sense then when it comes time to upgrade you'll know exactly what you want.

Do you have a budget? Have you picked a brand? Obviously Canon and Nikon are the two leading names; but you might consider researching lenses first. DSLR cameras all work relatively the same way and will have pretty much the same features and capabilities; but lenses will take you much farther with composition. Identifying your target subject matter is the first step (which sounds like portraits & still life) so try searching for "Best Lenses for (Portrait, Still Life, etc) photography. Investing research, time, and money into a versatile lens will last you decades while the camera body can be changed out and upgraded as often as you'd like. Not all lenses are compatible with all cameras (even if they're the same brand; usually it's the auto focus which may or may not be important to you) so if you pick the lens first it'll narrow the options and that can make the camera body an easy choice.

Ask around and see if any friends or relatives have camera equipment they'd be willing to donate or sell to you for cheap - that can make the choice even easier.

Also, starting with a model that's a few years old can save you lots of money up front and allow you to jump right in. New models are released all the time and yes they come out with new technology advances with each generation, but the main difference is MP. Don't feel like you have to get the latest and biggest MP size - you can still do a lot with a 14, 12, even 10MP camera. Even though the Top 5 selling cameras on Amazon all have 20+MP remember not that long ago 10MP was "Excessive and Unheard of!"

Rule of thumb is start small; this camera isn't the last one you'll ever buy - you can always grow & upgrade. Starting small will help you learn what features you like and identify what you want next. However you don't really need to upgrade until you feel for sure you've outgrown what you already have. Bottom line: invest in a cheaper camera body and a more expensive lens. Camera bodies come & go, but good lenses last a lifetime.

Thanks for all your advice, OmbreFox.

By the way, what do you think about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ40?

Another thing that I want to ask is about the best web platform to organize photos, video, jobs, etc.

¿What digital platforms do you use?

When researching gear I rely heavily on 3 things -

1. Amazon Ranking: The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ40 ranks around the mid 600's for the Point & Shoot category; not terrible but not very good either.
  2. Amazon Reviews: This camera only has about 22 reviews and they aren't very good. Usually I prefer to see a high number of reviews that look genuine, I like to see at least 500 but up to 2,000 is about the right range. Any more than that and it starts to look suspicious; there are some classic tell signs that reviewers may have been "incentivized" for example if there are a LOT of reviews with photos of the product that's a pretty big give away because websites that offer rewards for reviews usually offer more "points" if you add an image to the review; anyway I digress...
  3. Snapsort.com: This is my real secret weapon! The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ40 didn't do so well, but if you can stretch your budget to $225 for the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70 you will definitely get much more camera for your money. Compare the two side by side here.

To manage my artwork I use DeviantART.com which is a social media site for artwork - but I also do a lot more than just photography. I didn't like Flickr the first few years it was out but lately I've been really impressed with the features. I use it to manage photos for the Wages VFD; it's so easy and I can manage it straight from Lightroom. The only downside is their print prices are not competitive, but the good news is you can easily link Flickr to Snapfish.com. If a member wants to order prints I just give them access to Snapfish and they can order anything whenever they want.

I realize Flickr & Snapfish might not be the most professional choices, but they're free and since it's for a volunteer organization it fits well into the budget ;)

Wages VFD Flickr Albums

For my personal blog I recently switched from Blogger (again - free!) to Wordpress and I love it. I had to shell out money for 3 years worth of hosting, but I think it was definitely a well defined investment. It has won several awards for several reasons, but if you're not comfortable with web design Wix.com is FANTASTIC! It is SO easy to use and has tons of features, I've set up several accounts for friends & clients and they all love it - you have to pay at least $10 a month to get rid of the Wix banner, but everyone says it's worth it because you also unlock more features.

I also hear a lot of great things about SquareSpace.com, it seems most photographers prefer it over SmugMug.com though I honestly can't comment on either of these personally.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A good used DSLR would suit you better to learn .
Do not be concerned about a 6/10mp sensor - they can create great photos .
Nikon D40 perhaps ?
Pentax [ K10d ? ] are good value , are robust , usually less well used than Nikon/Canon and can accept 90s lenses - I have a pair of old 90s silver lenses which work fine and were really cheap .

Most reactions

Back