camera considerations

pocketshaver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
pixpro astro lineup from kodaks liscenced manufacturer lists the better models with 1440mm telephoto lenses.

The similar bridge type from Nikon is listing their cameras at 2000mm zoom lens equivalent, with 4000mm if used with built in electronics.

Some have viewfinders which is something I NEED. But its some sort of electronic diopter thing they don't actually explain that well. They all list some sort of low light capability better then most film cameras.

All I need is a 35mm camera, with good zoom functions for bird photos, macro, and view finder, electric film advance.

Just what one of them is actually a true replacement

The question if I understand correctly is what kind of camera can replace a film camera that is in the bridge camera arena.

In all honesty, any modern bridge camera will do the trick.

But digital zoom is different from optical zoom, and creates substandard images overall.

the only thing that I can consider in regards to the electronic diopter is that some cameras with viewfinders (including the newer canon mirrorless) uses sensors inside the viewfinder to adjust for what your looking at and assume what you want to focus on.
There is also the feature of adjusting to your eyesite electronically.

The thing you have to remember with bridge cameras like that, is yes it has a crazy long zoom, but it's still just a tiny sensor, likley a 1/2.3", which is roughly 1/12 the size of the aps-c sensor that you find and low-cost ($500-$1500) DSLR cameras, what that means is that you are never going to get pictures like you see in magazines out of it. The pictures will never be anywhere near as good as an actual 35 mm camera was. You really need a DSLR for that.
As for the viewfinder, it will have what's called an electronic viewfinder, which is simply a tiny screen inside the camera that you see when you look through the viewfinder. It is technically better for low light, because it's an electronic screen, so can use the cameras ISO boost, but it's no better then the rear screen on a DSLR, in fact that and the rear screen on the camera that significantly lower resolution vs a modern DSLR.

As far as actual picture quality you'll get from it, even with its crazy 1400-2000mm zoom, you could still get a better picture using a 18+mp crop sensor DSLR and a 400mm lens, then cropping to the same fov as the bridge camera.
When I look back at all the pictures I took with my Canon bridge camera compared to my current DSLR it's kind of ridiculous how not great the old pictures are...

For viewing on a phone or printing up to maybe a 4x6, a bridge camera can be okay, but if you want to print 5x7 or larger you really need a better camera....

Last edited:
35mm camera with electronic film advance. Nikon F4. Has a 100% optical viewfinder.

Macro lens, nikkor af 105mm f 2.8d micro

Bird lens, Nikkor 300mm f/4 af

If your looking for a digital, bridge type zoom camera, Panasonic DMC-FZ2000

Most reactions

New Topics

Back