camera mount that has multiple degrees of freedom

I may only need translational motion in the three planes. The rolling is for calibration measurements to characterize vignetting (need to take multiple images of screen at random locations and orientations to factor out the display non uniformities), and I can probably do that step without a mounted setup.

Ok so I've been learning more about focusing rails - fascinating things!

One thing I'm confused about is in the following great video

at 33:50, he says that you have to add a rail at the bottom. I don't understand this. Isn't the minolta focusing rail itself a rail?

If I get him right he's talking about a quick release plate rather than a full rail. Arca Swiss produce a range of mounts which are custom designed to bolt direct to the base of specific items (mostly cameras and tripod collars) so that the camera item can't move at all (ergo it can't rotate around the tripod screw) and then the plate itself clips into a quick release system suited for Arca Swiss (sold on specific heads or you can get adaptors for many common heads like Manfrotto). It's a quick release system that's popular because of the lack of rotational movement.

Novoflex that he mentions at the end (didn't watch it all the way through) are great rails but also some of the most expensive.

I emailed him and he said "Yes, you will perhaps want a quick-release rail on the bottom."

I'm still confused about why he called it a rail. Isn't the rail the thing that slides (or the track along which something slides)?

I think I get the concept of a quick release plate - it's basically an interface that allows you to quickly attach and remove a component (whether that component be a camera, or a focusing rail) to and from a tripod or tripod head. But what's a quick release rail? Is it simply a quick release plate that is shaped similiarly to the focusing rail so that the focusing rail has a longer base of support? Or is it an actual track along which the focusing rail moves?

Some of the Arac Swiss quick release plates have a rail function with their mounts. This is mostly used for bigger and heavier setups and lets you balance the lens and camera more effectively over the mounting point so that the weight is more evenly distributed.

I'm not sure on the specifics of which plates and tripod heads support this feature in their product line though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back