Camera Strap recommendation (Suffering from back pain)

oquis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! I am new here and I need advice...

I am an avid bird and wildlife photographer, I make long walks with my camera (a nikon d7200 with a Nikkon 300mm f/4 lens, all in total aprox 2.4kg) around my neck for hours, using the STOCK nikon strap that came with my camera. After a few years doing this now I am suffering from heavy back pain and bursitis on my shoulders (I am getting old I guess) so I cannot hold the camera on my shoulder for too long so between these two positions I preffer the camera around neck position and try to endure back pain (shoulder bursitis pain is awful). Of course I don't want to stop taking photos.... Any recommendations for a good ergonomic/orthopedic comfortable strap for my camera with a heavy lens attached for long walks?

Thanks in advance!!!

A few thoughts

1) The stock neck straps are bad - really bad. A big step up from them would be an OPTech neck strap which is thicker and padded and should be far more comfortable if you want to keep the camera on the neck . They also feature clips so that you can remove the main body of the strap and then clip the two ends on the camera together for when you don't want the strap hanging around (eg when on tripod)

2) Shoulder straps - there are loads - I personally use a Black Rapid. This puts the pressure on your shoulder and across your body rather than on your neck. It lets you dangle the camera down one side, so that your hand can support it (typically having it lay to your right; your right hand then just steadies it as you walk.

3) If you're getting back pain you might prefer one of the cotton carrier type harnesses which are aimed at using two cameras on the go, but might give you some added support and comfort when using a single camera

A few thoughts

1) The stock neck straps are bad - really bad. A big step up from them would be an OPTech neck strap which is thicker and padded and should be far more comfortable if you want to keep the camera on the neck . They also feature clips so that you can remove the main body of the strap and then clip the two ends on the camera together for when you don't want the strap hanging around (eg when on tripod)

2) Shoulder straps - there are loads - I personally use a Black Rapid. This puts the pressure on your shoulder and across your body rather than on your neck. It lets you dangle the camera down one side, so that your hand can support it (typically having it lay to your right; your right hand then just steadies it as you walk.

3) If you're getting back pain you might prefer one of the cotton carrier type harnesses which are aimed at using two cameras on the go, but might give you some added support and comfort when using a single camera

Oh thanks a lot!!! I will definitively look your recommendations. Very interesting all of them!!!

Take a look at mirrorless. The better straps are nice and can help with weight distribution but that only goes so far. Get a smaller and lighter kit.

Black Rapid or Peak and set up as sling strap let your shoulder support the weight makes a big difference then anything around the neck.

Hi everyone! I am new here and I need advice...

I am an avid bird and wildlife photographer, I make long walks with my camera (a nikon d7200 with a Nikkon 300mm f/4 lens, all in total aprox 2.4kg) around my neck for hours, using the STOCK nikon strap that came with my camera. After a few years doing this now I am suffering from heavy back pain and bursitis on my shoulders (I am getting old I guess) so I cannot hold the camera on my shoulder for too long so between these two positions I preffer the camera around neck position and try to endure back pain (shoulder bursitis pain is awful). Of course I don't want to stop taking photos.... Any recommendations for a good ergonomic/orthopedic comfortable strap for my camera with a heavy lens attached for long walks?

Thanks in advance!!!

Most reactions

Back