Camera Suggestions

pasty64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Posted this in a another section but this section may be more fitting scene I'm a noob.

I'm looking to upgrade from my point and shoot to something better but not sure if I really need a DSLR. I really would like something that takes a decent video as well so I can avoid buying to products ( Digi Cam and Camcorder). I'm looking in the extend zoom area, I've consider a few but haven't narrowed it down enough to make a purchase. I'm looking for advice of what to buy. I'd also like to get something that shoots avi files.

Heres a few I'm looking at. I'm not looking to break the bank but I'm willing to spend for quality.

Future Shop: Cameras & Camcorders: Digital Cameras: Nikon Coolpix 12.1MP Digital Camera (P90) - Black

Future Shop: Cameras & Camcorders: Digital Cameras: Canon PowerShot 12.1MP Digital Camera (SX20IS)

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Forgot to select email notifaction

Dont go for those point and shoots, ask yourself, are you interested in photography? Because for the price of those point and shoots you could but a Nikon D40 with a kit lens. DSLR's come with video, but the ones with video start at around 800$ and even that video isnt great.

If you want to get into photography get a DSLR, if you want to get into Videography get a camcorder. Dont buy a DSLR because you want photo+video.

Those cameras will work for you, but after you buy them you might get into it photography more, and by that time those cameras will become garbage to you. You'll want a DSLR and you'll be loosing a lot of money when you sell it.

Do you want to get into photography?

I like my sony cybershot 12.1 mp, it's easy to use, has great battery life and decent video quality. I'm getting a new canon or nikon dslr when I get enough money though. Have you used a dslr? It's definitely worth the extra cash imo

I'd like to get into a bit, nothing serious right off. I do agree that after a bit I may want something better but I'll cross that bridge when I come to get. I'm at the point where I have an interest photography and wouldn't mind making a small hobby out of it but I also want to be partical and buy something I can use in everyday use.

I'd like to get into a bit, nothing serious right off. I do agree that after a bit I may want something better but I'll cross that bridge when I come to get. I'm at the point where I have an interest photography and wouldn't mind making a small hobby out of it but I also want to be partical and buy something I can use in everyday use.

I suggest the D40, forget video. Its easy to use and will get you entered into photography as a hobby/beginner. You wont look back. Now they go for very cheap used.

Where's the best place to find a used DSLR?

The best?

Online, you can find many many places with used dslr options everywhere from your local classifieds to ebay, to known shops like adorama or B&H.

Next your local shop might have used DSLR's.

I've ben search used in my local area and everything as so close tot he new price point so I'd almost just buy new to get a warranty. But after reading a lot specs I starting to give up on the video and just get a decent starter camera.

I live in a small town in Northern NY..no shops around here...I'd have to buy online!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back