Camera - what sort - ideas and suggestions please

Jules77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am pretty much a beginner at photography, but looking to buy something decent which would suit my interests in dogs (action shots), and wildlife so I am thinking I need something with a fast shutter speed (dogs dont stand still!!), and a decent zoom. But it needs to be easy to use as well.

Ideas anyone please?

Detachable lens camera or P&S?

Decent zoom on a DSLR is a function of what lens you have on at the time. Quality telephoto lenses can get really expensive.

I am pretty much a beginner at photography, but looking to buy something decent which would suit my interests in dogs (action shots), and wildlife so I am thinking I need something with a fast shutter speed (dogs dont stand still!!), and a decent zoom. But it needs to be easy to use as well.

Ideas anyone please?

I'm going to make a rash assumption that what you are referring to is a lack of lag time.

Most digital single lens reflex cameras have a fairly fast actuation which will make the lag time negligible.

"Decent" cameras for you might include the entry level DSLR's from Nikon, Canon, Sony, and others.

No idea what P & S is, sorry. Thinking of having the option to put on different lenses. Yes, fast actuation so the photo takes the shot as you depress the button, rather than a second or so lag time.

Which model in Nikon etc?

A P&S is a "point and shoot" -- basically the inexpensive small pocket cameras.

What your model choices are depends on your budget. In my opinion, it's better to buy a better camera body that's slightly older used than it is to get a brand new entry level camera. And since you don't want "lag," a better body will usually have more focus points and focus faster and more accurately than an entry level DSLR.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3.

No idea what P & S is, sorry. Thinking of having the option to put on different lenses. Yes, fast actuation so the photo takes the shot as you depress the button, rather than a second or so lag time.

I was just looking at used Canons for someone and found the 30D going for about $200-$250 and the XT going for $125. They're still decent cameras and without a budget it's hard to actually recommend anything. A 7D would be a great camera but used they're about $1,000. Now on to lenses, Wildlife usually requires magnification. You can get 70-300 variable aperture lenses for about $300 or so, but the quality in those are going to be kind of mediocre when compared to a single aperture zoom like a 70-200. The problem there is that Canon's cheapest 70-200 is about $600 with the newest version going for $2,400 IIRC. That's the 70-200 f/2.8L IS MkII. Nikon only has one 70-200 and it's the expensive one. You could go with a telephoto prime, but even those are expensive. Teleconverters will help, but again you lose quality and they'll not work with every lens.

So, what's your budget and what's your expectation of quality. You may be happy with a 70-300 variable aperture zoom, but there are people out there that can't settle for anything but the best.

Not point and shoot then, got three of those here. No limit on budget for starters, was thinking around GBP£1K for body and lense (USD1500?)

I was just looking at used Canons for someone and found the 30D going for about $200-$250 and the XT going for $125. They're still decent cameras and without a budget it's hard to actually recommend anything. A 7D would be a great camera but used they're about $1,000. Now on to lenses, Wildlife usually requires magnification. You can get 70-300 variable aperture lenses for about $300 or so, but the quality in those are going to be kind of mediocre when compared to a single aperture zoom like a 70-200. The problem there is that Canon's cheapest 70-200 is about $600 with the newest version going for $2,400 IIRC. That's the 70-200 f/2.8L IS MkII. Nikon only has one 70-200 and it's the expensive one. You could go with a telephoto prime, but even those are expensive. Teleconverters will help, but again you lose quality and they'll not work with every lens.

So, what's your budget and what's your expectation of quality. You may be happy with a 70-300 variable aperture zoom, but there are people out there that can't settle for anything but the best.

Budget in US Dollars say 1500 to include any extras I need to buy, ie: case, lense etc. Expectation is that I can take good quality action shots without a time delay from when I press the shutter to when it actually takes the photo, and with a good zoom too.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Digital SLR Cameras

This lineup is sorted by level of features. Consult your local dealer for latest price and availability. You can download a brochure for each model. The "DX" designation refers to a "cropped sensor", and the FX designation refers to a "full size" sensor, very much like 35mm film.

The lower models are considered "entry level" up to and including your own budget. Most "kits" will include at least one lens, usually a zoom of either short or longer focal length, and are adequate for beginners to start with.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a bag, but eventually you will want a good tripod, a speedlight, more memory cards, and a backup battery.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back