Can all settings in "Scene" modes be set manually with a digicam?

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would think that if my camera is capable of a certain "scene" mode, such as "sports", "landscape", "portrait", etc, that these can be set manually in manual mode.

I mean, doesn't the camera just auto set certain settings for the particular "scene" mode that can be also done in manual mode? For instance, in "sport" mode I can capture people moving more easily and not get blur. What is the camera setting that may achieve this? Is it just setting a fast shutter speed, etc?

I would think that if my camera is capable of a certain "scene" mode, such as "sports", "landscape", "portrait", etc, that these can be set manually in manual mode.

I mean, doesn't the camera just auto set certain settings for the particular "scene" mode that can be also done in manual mode? For instance, in "sport" mode I can capture people moving more easily and not get blur. What is the camera setting that may achieve this? Is it just setting a fast shutter speed, etc?

Not necessarily. I assume you are talking about point and shoot cameras since all your other posts the last day or two have been about point and shoots.

It will vary from camera to camera on point and shoots. MOST point and shoots don't even offer manual control of anything, and those that do offer manual control don't always offer FULL manual control.

Not necessarily. I assume you are talking about point and shoot cameras since all your other posts the last day or two have been about point and shoots.

It will vary from camera to camera on point and shoots. MOST point and shoots don't even offer manual control of anything, and those that do offer manual control don't always offer FULL manual control.

Well, I'm talking about my Cybershot dsc-h20, I think I can adjust aperture and shutter speed and of course ISO. I'm thinking though of getting more of an "enthusiast" compact like either the Nikon P7700 or the G12. I want full manual (or close) and a good zoom. I don't need a 20x zoom, but as close to 10x as possible.

Aperture - ISO - Shutter speed

those are the 3 core components of any exposure on pretty much all cameras on the market - even back in the film days (though back then ISO was called ASA).

The scene modes simply attribute a certain importance and ideal concept to the settings, for example in sports mode the camera is going to try and use a wider aperture (small f number) along with a higher ISO and a fast shutter speed. In landscape it would be using a slower shutter speed (it might even assume you're using a tripod) and also use a smaller (bigger f number) aperture.

If you want to emulate it in manual mode you just have to select the settings required and you'll get the shot. f8, ISO 200, 1/200sec will give you the same shot in sports mode - landscape mode and full manual mode.

Note that some scene modes might make some adjustments to post shot editing in the camera (eg adjusting vibrancy, saturation, contrast) - these are effects applied after the shot is taken and can generally be influenced by the user.

Note also that the metering mode will be fixed for most automatic modes; if you use a different metering mode in manual it might read the light in the scene differently and thus give you a different set of exposure variables. This doesn't make any one metering method "better" than the other overall; it simply reflects that different metering modes read light in a scene differently and that under different conditions they can give different results and that you might find certain modes give more reliable readings under certain conditions.

Fast shutter and wider aperture/higher ISO. That being said there could be all sorts of post processing specific to the scene mode being done in the JPG conversion, if you're shooting in raw though then probably not, maybe the IS can be tweaked for shooting fast moving subjects?

Edit: which is what Overead just posted...:er:

Fast shutter and wider aperture/higher ISO. That being said there could be all sorts of post processing specific to the scene mode being done in the JPG conversion, if you're shooting in raw though then probably not, maybe the IS can be tweaked for shooting fast moving subjects?

IS - or image stabilization has no effect what so ever on moving subjects. IS counters the motions of the camera when it is being handheld (ergo your own bodies movements) and thus can let you shoot a sharp shot at slower than ideal shutter speeds, provided that the shutter speed is fast enough to ensure that all motion in the subject is captured sharp.

For someone running using a slow shutter speed with or without IS will still blur the subject.

Well, I'm talking about my Cybershot dsc-h20, I think I can adjust aperture and shutter speed and of course ISO.

You "think"? perhaps you should read the manual and find out.

I'm thinking though of getting more of an "enthusiast" compact like either the Nikon P7700 or the G12. I want full manual (or close) and a good zoom. I don't need a 20x zoom, but as close to 10x as possible.

I would not bother upgrading from one point and shoot to another point and shoot. Go with a DSLR or a micro 4/3rds camera.

IS - or image stabilization has no effect what so ever on moving subjects. IS counters the motions of the camera when it is being handheld (ergo your own bodies movements) and thus can let you shoot a sharp shot at slower than ideal shutter speeds, provided that the shutter speed is fast enough to ensure that all motion in the subject is captured sharp.

For someone running using a slow shutter speed with or without IS will still blur the subject.

Which if I'd thought about what I was writing I'd have realised...it must be Friday.

Scene Modes generally adjust in-camera settings that you can set yourself. Things like Sharpness, Saturation, Vividness, Contrast, Brightness.

Most reactions

Back