Canon r10

thetoxicmud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just purchased my first camera , I’m in process of reading manual I have couple questions if someone can help me here.

I understand why changing aperture to small darkens image in viewfinder or cameras screen, you physically close aperture by changing this setting thus you let less light in.

But changing shutter speed setting have no physical effect at the time of increasing speed/before taking picture. Again i understand that faster shutter lets less light in but that happens during taking pictures and not while you adjust the setting? Shutter stays closed . Yet it darkens picture on screen or viewfinder, even in manual mode when other settings-aperture and ISO do not auto adjust.

Manual says that in “manual mode” , with iso set to auto with shutter button pressed I should be able to adjust exposure compensation with control ring, but it doesn’t work, doesn’t adjust the compensation. It works when I set to manual focus though. Any idea why? The ring icon appears next to EC when shutter button is halfway pressed too, but nothing happens.

Bit odd, manual tells that with ISO on auto I should be able to manually adjust EC if I press it on touch screen, I do that and adjust compensation with my finger, then after I confirm ,it auto adjust itself after pressing shutter button so basically I have no control on EC. I know that M mode is for full manual control, just want to know what is happening in settings.

I thought sure you would have gotten some help by now, but I sure was wrong. Your problem is intriguing - almost wish I was a Canon user! Perhaps you ought to try to find a forum where the members try to help each other?

I just tried this on my wife's M100, unfortunately not much help as it works as I would expect.

1st Change EC to what I want, then press shutter first stage - the display briefly flashes to show 'correct compensation' worked out by the camera before quickly reverting back to the setting I made with EC before taking the picture.

The resultant picture is as I set in EC not as set by the camera.

Thanks everyone for answers I appreciate, I realised what’s been happening, this is simply simulation of exposure when changing shutter speed as well as other settings.

As for the control ring, we have a physical switch on camera that can switch between AF and MF the latter is then operated with control ring, this is obvious to all canon users. Now there is a setting in which you decide what control ring should be doing, either MF when switched to MF with physical dial, or control settings like EC we talk about here. You can’t have both and to me that seems like overlook from canon. You can have setting for ring to act as control, then you loose ability to use ring as MF even if you switch physical dial, it becomes useless then. Or have setting at MF but then ring does nothing when the dial is at AF .

Why not let ring act as control for EC when the physical dial is on AF and act as focus when it’s on MF? A simple firmware update could fix this.

As for the EC in manual mode, well I still learn- I was shooting in bright room, max ISO must be set by default to 6400 and it won’t let you override EC towards right /brightness if it reached its max ISO already, that’s why manually adjusting EC wasn’t working for me and it’s been resetting back to middle, I could set EC to the left/black and it stayed there though. Thanks everyone for the input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back