Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Zachery

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, as mentioned before I'm completly new to photgraphy. This morning I got up at 6am and drove 12 miles to take a picture of the sunrise. At first I used the Scene setting, and the picture came out ok. Then I tried using Manual, but this time I got nothing, just blackness! As far as I know I did everything by the book. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I really want to start using Manual more, if I can! Thanks in advance.

Z

1) Buy or borrow the book understanding exposure.
2) Read this Achieving correct exposure with aperture and shutter speed | DigicamGuides.com
3) Most people get to grips with shutter priority and aperture priority (tv,av on a canon) before launching into full manual, they allow you to control either the aperture or the shutter speed and the meter works out the other. Its also good to know how the different metering modes in your camera work if you don't already, heres a very basic rundown of what they doExposure metering modes
Remember that your not doing anything wrong, its just a steep learning curve. I often take black shots, you just gotta keep on experimenting and keep shooting. Oh yea, and always use a tripod.

good advice from jamesmason

things are black because you didn't have enough light. when you went to manual metering mode, where was the "arrow", it needs to be in the middle of the bar at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for your replies. You're quite right, James, I'm probably trying to run before I can walk!

Z

If you pick manual, the camera gives you full control of the settings and probably defaults to settings for photography in good sunlight. Do you know what ISO, shutter speed and aperture you had set?

As suggested above, using aperture priority or shutter priority lets you experiment, while the camera still has the control to ensure the shot comes out well lit. These modes are kind of "half manual" - you control one aspect only, so you can learn how that affects the image first.

Shooting in relative darkness like a sunrise or sunset, you probably also need to steady the camera on an object or use a tripod to prevent blurring - it could take a large fraction of a second to take the photo.

:addpics:

Well, as I said in my message, there wasn't a picture because it came out black! Anyway, the kind advice I've been given here already shows that no picture was actually needed.

Z

You have a point, Iolair, I think the ISO was wrong! I did use a tripod for the photo and like I said, the one on the Scene setting was fine.

black or not, it will show us the metadata which will give us information that will be more productive for you.

I agree - even a failed black shot can be a learning tool - and I think we will find that it wasn't nessessarily your ISO which was wrong.

Also when you upload to the net don't save it as a "save for web" if you use any photoshop product -otherwise the camera data will be stripped. Instead just resize it to under 1000 pixels on the longest side and save that as a jpeg.
Also if your after critque on works do follow the link in my sig as well for some additional advice

Actually, TPF requests you resize to no longer than 800 pixels x 600 pixels.

From: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html

"Next click the 'UPLOAD' button. Uploading should only take a few moments, depending on your connection speed and the size of your photo. And remember that your photo should already be sized down for forum viewing before uploading. The maximum size should be no more than 800 pixels wide, and 600 pixels high, in order for it to fit on most screens without having to scroll."

I really want to start using Manual more
There is no difference between a shot taken in manual and a shot taken in many of the various auto modes...as long as the settings are the same. You can alter the exposure settings in auto mode as well as manual mode...so for the most part, it doesn't really matter which mode you are in...as long as you know how to control the exposure settings on your camera.

I think when you changed into manual mode you forgot to adjust your aperture and speed settings. also try checking your metering if its in the middle. Maybe you were just too excited to take the shot and completely forgot to check your camera settings. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back