Can someone explain biggest difference between these flashes?

Lodovico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just starting to learn more about lighting, so I'm looking for an explanation in beginners terms, if possible. What are the main differences between the Nikon SB-400 and the SB-700. I've read both descriptions, but I guess I'm just not grasping the huge difference that justifies the price. I'm sure it's significant, but I don't get it. Thanks!

Honestly, I would look into the Ken Rockwell reviews of both those flashes. He explains the differences using plain English, and a bit of whimsy and fun.

The sb700 has a rotating head and the sb400 doesn't.
The SB700 has AF, the SB400 doesn't.
The sb700 can be remotely triggered using the IR sensor.

The sb400 is a bigger version of the pop-up flash. The sb700 is a very good flash with lots of features of the more expensive models.

Thanks guys. I also found another good comparison article online.

semantics.

but rotate suggests something moves on a axis, which the sb400 does: It can rotate the flash head 90° to vertical.

You can tilt a camera until your pop-up flash points vertical, problem is: so does the lens...

If I told a helicopter pilot to tilt the blades 20° down we'd start flying forwards.

If I told the helicopter pilot to rotate the blades 20° he'd have a hard time, or tell me they already are rotating or we wouldn't be flying. although, not be versed in helicopters, I believe you rotate the angle of the blades for some sort of pitch/jaw control.

I mean, look up the defintions of tilt and rotate. im sure you'll find that tilt says you lean something, and rotate gets moved along an axis.

Rotate/pan and tilt are very specific.

Cam_tilt-rotate2.jpg

whatever.

what do you call it when I tilt the flash and then tilt the flash?

that was a scoffing, not giving a **** anymore, reply.

Now, now guys. No reason to argue. Not trying to fan the flames, but this in-dept comparison of the 2 flashes definitely supports runnah's description. No rotation.

Nikon Flash Comparison

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back