Can you help me with polarizing filters?

Thomas Frank

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a superzoom camera (canon powershot sx100). It doesn't have threads for filters, so how would I go about using a filter? do i just buy a regular filter and hold it in front of the lens? or can i buy filters that fit on the lens by pressure? (same size diameter or something like that)

I just bought a superzoom camera (canon powershot sx100). It doesn't have threads for filters, so how would I go about using a filter? do i just buy a regular filter and hold it in front of the lens? or can i buy filters that fit on the lens by pressure? (same size diameter or something like that)
Interesting dilemma. I used to get creative like that many years ago.

"Regular" filters (color, balance, ND, etc.) will work just fine by holding in front of the lens (actually holding against the front mounting). However, with digital photography there isn't much benefit to regular filters. The biggie is a polarizer and many photographers also like graduated density filters. Unfortunately, I would think that it would be extremely clumsy using those filters in that manner.

Perhaps someone else might have better thoughts.

I could build a sketchy clamping system if I needed to... I'm just wondering if there's any way to use a polarizing filter (and graduated) with a more point and shoot cam.

I could build a sketchy clamping system if I needed to... I'm just wondering if there's any way to use a polarizing filter (and graduated) with a more point and shoot cam.

The problem is that you have to rotate the darned things to get the effect that you want.

THe only thing I can think of is making a velcro ring on the lens end and, filter. But then you would have to use something tacky to hold it on.

You are amazing! Thank you so much!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back