Can you shoot ugly?

pwrstrk02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have several very pretty women that are willing to let me experiment with them. Both for my practice and theirs too. So with these girls they just get to do whatever they want because they are just so darn qute. They are my cousins so nothing on me being dirty in anyway. Their attitudes are very outgoing and very fun. They handle most of the shots and I just shoot.

So what do you do when you know you have to shoot an ugly person. A rude person. A mean person. A person that just wants to run you all over the studio digging out props and telling you the way it's going to be. And did I mention that they would be ugly also? How do you PP on an ugly persons face. Any different? Just qurious.
Thanks
Pro Conductor
Randy.

Lol. Brutally honest, I like it. Sorry I have nothing more constructive to add, except maybe go all out on the skin smoothing if they have bad acne or something. Also, if they're ugly they may be more self conscious and look to you, the photographer, for guidance on how ot pose.

Zoom out and move further back. JK...

Find the light and angle that is most flattering to them. Start with established head and torso positions and move from there. Some people love retouched images and others won't. Learn how to retouch for those that want their mind's eye best.

a good makeup artist, terrific lighting and know what your doing.

This is probably way before most here but years ago a very famous portrait photographer (can't remember how to spell his name :() took the photo of a very plain (am sure the op would say ugly) woman who was married to then attorney general and ended up in Life magazine. It was all about using the above items.

Why are they ugly? Is one arm shorter than the other? Is it a midget? Some other birth defect that you consider ugly?

Personally, if it's your study, no one should be bullying you around your own space.

honestly.. if you are ever in the situation where someone is telling you how to shoot.. if you want to stay nice, then just simply say "we'll do your way first" and then lets' try my vision" i came accross just this, this summer.. and my shots turned out WAY WAY better.. and they baught MY vision. always try to please clients even if that means it's not what you want.

about the ugly people.. hmmm.. they are what they are. and you shoot like you normally would. usually if you see someone with beautiful lips, you'd try to focus somehow on that, or eyes, or hair whatever it may be.. just do the same with someone who may not have so many pleasing features.

i can't remember where i read this, but i read that it's good to have beautiful people AND average people, AND ugly people in your portfolio/website/blog. because people looking for a great photographer wants to see that you can make ANYONE look awsome and your more likely to get hired.

What posing or photshop cant fix, send home.:lol:
Watch

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been in that situation before--a senior shoot that I was duped into doing for free. (Lesson learned there.. never do a shoot for free.) After a great deal of skin smoothing, it went from ugly to model-worthy. Never want to go down that same route again, but I definitely do love a good challenge from time to time!

Forget to put the film in the digital camera. HAHA

So what do you do when you know you have to shoot an ugly person. A rude person. A mean person. A person that just wants to run you all over the studio digging out props and telling you the way it's going to be.

Well, first... I never allow anyone to take control over the session. This is particularly easy to maintain in the studio... on my own turf. But no matter where I'm working, it's my job, my responsibility and I call the shots. Nothing happens that I don't allow.

As for shooting folks that lack in social graces... that's always been my favorite client. They come in only because the have to... senior portrait... PR shot... etc. And they expect to like NOTHING I do. When I deliver the best portrait of their life, I'm a hero. It's the most gratifying work I do.

There's always something attractive about a person. I simply identify it and do what I can to expound on it.

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back