What's new

Cannons Flaming

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 18, 2011
Messages
17,142
Reaction score
4,350
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shot from this weekend... with a crop on it. Let me know what you think!

CannonFlash1280.jpg
 
Posterised?

Get rid of the black cartoon outlines and this would be a great shot.
 
Posterised?

Get rid of the black cartoon outlines and this would be a great shot.

No.. not posterization! That is exactly as it was shot. Just a crop on the original. You can check out the original at http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...y/256413-tell-story-3-photos.html#post2342299. Where are you seeing posterization at?

Really?! I see it everywhere! It shows most along the top of the cannon barrel and in the grain of the wood of the wheels and spokes. Everything looks like it has that posterised, outlined, pen-drawn feel to it. How odd! The reason I didn't like the "effect" was because it made the flame look "detached" from the rest of the photo because the flame doesn't have the effect on it.

Well, I guess if it's not posterised, it's not! I do like the photo though!

EDIT: Just looked at the originals you linked to. They don't have the effect at all. But it looks like you've cropped quite a lot off in this version, so maybe that's what's fooling me. Maybe there's some CA in there that's fooling my eyes!
 
Posterised?

Get rid of the black cartoon outlines and this would be a great shot.

No.. not posterization! That is exactly as it was shot. Just a crop on the original. You can check out the original at http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...y/256413-tell-story-3-photos.html#post2342299. Where are you seeing posterization at?

Really?! I see it everywhere! It shows most along the top of the cannon barrel and in the grain of the wood of the wheels and spokes. Everything looks like it has that posterised, outlined, pen-drawn feel to it. How odd! The reason I didn't like the "effect" was because it made the flame look "detached" from the rest of the photo because the flame doesn't have the effect on it.

Well, I guess if it's not posterised, it's not! I do like the photo though!

EDIT: Just looked at the originals you linked to. They don't have the effect at all. But it looks like you've cropped quite a lot off in this version, so maybe that's what's fooling me. Maybe there's some CA in there that's fooling my eyes!

hahaha.. no idea! The wheels are painted with a bluish gray paint.. that is cracking, and actually shows some of the wood grain (cracks) also where the wood is drying out. The barrel is mildly pitted and corroded... and I love that detail. That and the succession of geometric shapes is why I like this picture... even more than the flame! I did shoot this at full mag with my 70-200 2.8... from about 60 yards out, closest I could get for this line of sight.
 
Last edited:
cgipson1 said:
hahaha.. no idea! The wheels are painted with a bluish gray paint.. that is cracking, and actually shows some of the wood grain (cracks) also where the wood is drying out. The barrel is mildly pitted and corroded... and I love that detail. That and the succession of geometric shapes is why I like this picture... even more than the flame! I did shoot this are full mag with my 70-200 2.8... from about 60 yards out, closest I could get for this line of sight.

Yes. I do see what you see! Perfect pic.
 
Thanks Shootnride! I actually got three different shots showing flame that day.... this was the best of the bunch though! Now I am trying to locate the SCA members that were there that day... as they all said they wanted photos. Fun times!
 
cgipson1 said:
Thanks Shootnride! I actually got three different shots showing flame that day.... this was the best of the bunch though! Now I am trying to locate the SCA members that were there that day... as they all said they wanted photos. Fun times!

You are having too much fun buddy. lol
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom