Canon 16-35L f/2.8 II vs. 17-40L f/4 Head-to-Head Review

Rich Christie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Head-2-Head Reviews

I bought the 17-40 f/4 because the vignetting on the 16-35 f/2.8 (original) was so awful. I've been interested to see how the new 16-35 iimproved on that.

In these tests, the cheaper L lens performs just as well as the more expensive wide angle zoom. Probably good to know..

Anyone else have similar findings? Or opposing,,,,?

Cheers,
Rich

Interesting to see...I was considering the 17-40 for my next lens purchase, good to know it is on the same ground as the much more expensive 16-35.

I feel the same way. I have long heard as much, but it;s good to see confirmation.

16-35 is superfast and thats pretty much it. if you dont need the speed then 17-40 is the way to go. So for for me its been rendering some splendid IQ

I read, and read about both before I decided. The 17-40 is a great performer, but there are two things that the 16-35 can do better......

16mm
f/2.8

If neither of them are important to you, then get the 17-40.

I read, and read about both before I decided. The 17-40 is a great performer, but there are two things that the 16-35 can do better......

16mm
f/2.8

If neither of them are important to you, then get the 17-40.

I bought the 17-40 due to the extra cost of the 16-35 was to much and its been great! But there is quite difference between 16 and 17mm so if you want wide you may consider the 16-35.
See http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/focal_length_comparisons.htm

Last edited:
I bought the 16-35 mark II for the extra speed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back