Canon 200mm f/2.0L IS at the San Diego Zoo

gatorbill-75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
gatorbill.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I rented a Canon 200mm f/2.0L IS lens a couple of weeks back and took it out for a test ride at the San Diego Zoo coupled with a 1D Mark IV. It's an awesome piece of glass, I found it to perform much better than my current Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens. The AF response and accuracy with the prime lens is simply much better than that of the zoom lens.
I think I'll try out the new 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Mark II next to see if it's a worthy upgrade from the current Mark I lens.

1) Indian Peafowl
p732843852-5.jpg

2) Lesser Spot-nosed Guenon
p994607219-6.jpg

3) Victoria Crowned Pigeon
p850581519-5.jpg

4) Sunda Wrinkled Hornbill
p1023960676-5.jpg

5) White-breasted Kingfisher
p847691448-5.jpg

6) Chestnut-bellied Partridge
p897470415-5.jpg

7) Nicobar Pigeon
p412633405-6.jpg

8) Male Bulwer's Wattled Pheasant
p316024324-6.jpg

9) Giraffe
p378022082-5.jpg

10) Greater Indian One-horned Rhinocerous
p371693335-5.jpg

All of the above samples images and a few others I took that day are at the following Zenfolio gallery:
Zenfolio | Bill Fleites Photography | Latest Zoo Animals

I've included 100% crop of some of the shots at the following Zenfolio gallery:
Zenfolio | Bill Fleites Photography | 100 Percent Crops

Comments and suggestions are always welcome,
--gatorbill-75

awesome captures

Dang, very soft compared to nikons 200mm f/2

Love the detail on the giraffe!

Thanks for the encouraging comments carlos91 & fokker !!! I just shot a session with the new 70-200mm f2.8 Mark II lens to see if it could be a less costly alternative to the prime lens.

Can you post here some of the pictures you took with your Nikon 200mm so we can compare? At least one, I'm sure the OP won't mind.

Can you post here some of the pictures you took with your Nikon 200mm so we can compare? At least one, I'm sure the OP won't mind.

Mitica100,
I'm sure Mr DScience is a fine photographer and the Nikkor 200mm f2 is a fine lens. I happen to have owned a Nikon D3 and Nikkor 300mm f2.8 lens (and several other fine Nikkor lenses) since 2008 which I've used quite frequently as you can see in the following Zenfolio gallery:

Zenfolio | Bill Fleites Photography | Nikon D3

However, I'm also mature enough to simply ignore thoughtless and unconstructive comments either about my photographic skills or the equipment I use. I post photos as a check to see if I can do something to improve based on the feedback of others who love photography as much as I do, and not to promote one brand vs another. On another forum I recently received excellent suggestions on how to improve a set of landscape shots I had taken, things I never would have thought of which I found extremely helpful.

Thanks,
--gatorbill

I rented a Canon 200mm f/2.0L IS lens a couple of weeks back and took it out for a test ride at the San Diego Zoo coupled with a 1D Mark IV. It's an awesome piece of glass, I found it to perform much better than my current Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens. The AF response and accuracy with the prime lens is simply much better than that of the zoom lens.

Those are quite nice, you will find that "good primes" will always perform better than any zoom they focus very fast and deliver the IQ.Looks like a great lens to look at .

The first pic is very awesome, sharp, wonderful colours and great composition..

As mentioned, the others do seem quite soft...

I think they're sharp, focus is on the eye.. Sure you're not just seeing a very shallow depth of field? Could just be me..

I think they're sharp, focus is on the eye.. Sure you're not just seeing a very shallow depth of field? Could just be me..

I agree, I think people don't seem to realize that these are all taken at f2.0 and as you state a very narrow DOF. So only the critical part of the animal that I wanted in sharp focus (i.e. the eye/head) is in sharp focus and the rest of the animal and the background quickly dissolve OOF.

Thanks for the comment,
-gatorbill

I think the following shot of a Paradise Tanager and the corresponding 100% crop taken with the same Canon 200mm f2.0 lens shows just how shallow the depth of field of this lens is when used wide open. It shows that any part of the bird in a shallow area around it's eye is in sharp focus, and everything else falls very quickly OOF. For example, even the feathers at the top of his head start to go out of focus.

p715325203-6.jpg

100% Crop
p845290273.jpg

--gatorbill

Very nice pics. Love the colours, and the clarity. I'd say a successful test drive!!

beautiful photos! Not sure where people are seeing the non-focused parts. Definately a successful test!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back