Canon 40D software and stuff...

Marie Mc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hiya - I am looking to resurrect my Canon 40D which I bought in 2007/8 but have not used since 2012. I have 17-85 and 75-300 lenses; I am hoping to enrol on a digital photography course with the Open University to explore my creative style.

I would really appreciate advice on appropriate software for downloading and editing on my MacBook Air (Sonoma 14) as all I could find on the Canon website seems to tell me the software will not be compatible with my laptop.

I have other issues with the camera in that it is dead! However, luckily I have a local camera shop who will be looking at it soon and say they hope it is just an old battery issue; I also think I have bought the right adaptors to use the old cables with my new laptop (although I won't know til the camera is on).

I am fine using the camera and the laptop...but pretty green about the stuff that links it together so any 'idiot-style' guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Marie

Welcome.
For the technical side of your camera I would suggest going to youtube and typing in "Canon 40d tutorial" it will provide you with videos from basic operations all the way to shooting full manual.

Software can be a bit more tricky based on price and what you used before however I'll link a few to look at below.

I personally use Lightroom and Photoshop and only because I do many types of photography and don't want to re-purchase a bunch of plugins.

Raw power this is an plugin for apple photos that allows all of the basic photo processing you would expect from something like light room.

DXO Photolab7 This is a complete end to end (think Lightroom and Photoshop) software

Others will also give suggestion. Have a look into each and do some free trials. Then you can see what you like and what fits the budget.

Welcome.
For the technical side of your camera I would suggest going to youtube and typing in "Canon 40d tutorial" it will provide you with videos from basic operations all the way to shooting full manual.

Software can be a bit more tricky based on price and what you used before however I'll link a few to look at below.

I personally use Lightroom and Photoshop and only because I do many types of photography and don't want to re-purchase a bunch of plugins.

Raw power this is an plugin for apple photos that allows all of the basic photo processing you would expect from something like light room.

DXO Photolab7 This is a complete end to end (think Lightroom and Photoshop) software

Others will also give suggestion. Have a look into each and do some free trials. Then you can see what you like and what fits the budget.
That's a brilliant start - thank you so much!

I bought the camera into local shop today and they said they had gotten life out of it after an hour and it just needed a very long good boost of charging to get it going (and the 17-85 lens now only works on manual apparently but that's fine). So I look forward to giving your suggestions a go when the camera is ready - have already seen what free trials are available from your list and what they will cost to purchase...eager to get going!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back