Canon 5D MkII and 300 f/2.8L

Just explain to me why the 300 would be short on a full frame as opposed to a crop sensor?

The image is the same but only the edges are cropped. Splain Lucy!!!

Call it what you want, but on a crop sensor the subject is closer, and therefore more detail is preserved (as opposed to cropping to obtain the effect).

true - but with something like the 5DM2 and its 20MP sensor one has a lot of cropping capacity availble - so one can crop the shot down without losing too much image quality or detail in the final image nor reducing its usability for printing.

The pixel density is different, and only taking a piece of the sensor will result in quality loss as opposed to a crop sensor.

I dunno. I have cropped some insane shots with the 5D Mark II. Well past the safe margin I had on the 40D. The resolution and detail is all there.

Think about it.... You are comparing your observations cropping BOTH 40D and 5D images. It is a bit different from cropping a full frame image down to a full sized image from a APS sized sensored camera.

There is no discernible noise on this sensor until you past ISO 1600. Pixel density does not hold all though. The 5D's pixel are larger in comparison I think, hence the disparity in density. But the larger pixels are what gives it the low noise and dynamic range.

Different issue altogether; We are essentially talking pixel density in identical ideal lighting. The 5D MarkII will obviously outperform the 40D in terms of ISO performance and noise.

I've come to learn through experimentation with my 5DMk2 and 50D that in fact if you want to shoot something far away (and you're short on focal length) I'm better off using the 50D. While I can crop my 5DMk2 images to get the same subject size, there is a noticeable loss in detail. The images look sharper out of the 50D.

The solution is to buy expensive glass for the 5DMk2 like 300mm, 400mm or 600mm primes. :)

Buying all that glass is very expensive and beyond my budget. I guess the best thing to do is buy both the 5DmkII and the 50D. USe the 5D with wide angle lens and glass up to 200m. THen use the 50D for long distance shots of wildlife using what I have or buy the 300 f/2.8L and 1.4 converter. Does anybody agree with this solution?

Buying all that glass is very expensive and beyond my budget. I guess the best thing to do is buy both the 5DmkII and the 50D. USe the 5D with wide angle lens and glass up to 200m. THen use the 50D for long distance shots of wildlife using what I have or buy the 300 f/2.8L and 1.4 converter. Does anybody agree with this solution?

The crop factor is very helpful for wildlife shots, however two professional bodies seem a little extravagant, especially if you're not shooting profsesionally. I would bite the bullet and only get the 5dmii and rely on cropping for the images.

Another solution would be to get the 5DmI and use the rest of the money to get a decent APS-C body. I cant think of a reason to buy the 5DmII over the 5DmII unless you're shooting for billboards and such.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back