Canon 70D vs Nikon D7100

DeathDiesel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello im new to the forum, and yes im fully aware im treading on very dangerous territory already just by talking about both these brands. Yes I have done a ton of research, yes I have a budget in mind. I currently using a Canon Rebel Xs, and have a 18-135mm, 50mm, and 50-250mm lenses.

For some general info in how I will be using the camera, I do a lot of landscape photography, currently no real model shooting, or sports. I really dont have any interest in video graphing, or recording videos. I simply enjoy taking pictures more, as well as I believe pictures can show just as much if not more emotion and experience than videos do.

My biggest question im really trying to ask you guys is this: I have heard that Nikon is generally a bit better with pictures, and Canon is a bit better or further with Videos. Being that I basically only do pictures, and stills, would it be better for me to switch to Nikon as Im currently using Canon. I really dont have any particular affinity for either one, really whatever will work best for me is what im interested in.

Any other info needed? Please ask, I know im asking a lot, and there is a spec debate, but really im looking for whatever will work best for what I use. Thanks, DD. :mrgreen:

This is well,well worth the 34 minutes of your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
No joke, but I was watching that, made the post before taking one of my classes. Finishing the rest of it now. Love the intro to that vid.

Edit: At the end of the video im still hungup a bit. Based on the little image quiz he gave, i chose the Nikon 10/12 times, Canon 2/12. (I counted one as a tie)

I still am hungup being that my main purposes are stills, however I do LOVE the LCD of the 70D, articulating and touch is honestly the main selling point for it(and I already have lenses for it), while the Nikon selling point is I obviously tended torwards it when comparing images side by side, plus dual SD.

Last edited:
Don't you wish you could rub them together and make a 70D100 baby? :) ;)

From what you mentioned in your OP, I would choose the D7100. Fortunately, your investment in the Canon lenses has not broken the bank (meaning based on what you have, deciding could have been much tougher).

My wife has the 70D and it does just fine with wildlife shots - fps, buffer, af system etc. It made sense upgrading from a T3I (especially with the glass already invested).

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely go for the D7100 for all or most of the reasons mentioned and seen in the video.

Good luck!

No joke, but I was watching that, made the post before taking one of my classes. Finishing the rest of it now. Love the intro to that vid.

Edit: At the end of the video im still hungup a bit. Based on the little image quiz he gave, i chose the Nikon 10/12 times, Canon 2/12. (I counted one as a tie)

I still am hungup being that my main purposes are stills, however I do LOVE the LCD of the 70D, articulating and touch is honestly the main selling point for it(and I already have lenses for it), while the Nikon selling point is I obviously tended torwards it when comparing images side by side, plus dual SD.

So, you liked the Nikon portraits better than the Canon 70D portraits in a blind test?? Did you like the detailed whites of the Nikon portraits more than the blown-out, detail-free whites in the Canon shots?

Did you notice the way the SUN clipped in the Canon shots of the beach sunset, rendering a big, ugly, yellow,detail-free, "digital" highlight-rendering mess in the Canon shot? Again, this is why the superior dynamic range of modern, current-generation Nikon cameras is such a big advantage in the real world.

Did you like the way the Nikon rendered its in-camera HDR files faster, and without all the rendering errors the Canon was plagued with?

Did you like the Nikon D7100's clean,crisp, moire-free video, as opposed to the God-awful moire-filled mess that the 70D turned in?

Did you like the higher total image quality the Nikon had?

Or do you want a touch screen?

Interesting Derrel, I have never heard of the problem you mentioned with the 70-300mm VR lens.
I bought my lens used and own it for a while now and I must say I never had a single problem with it even though its few years old now and I use it almost every time I am outside.

thanks derrel for the video. great info. i have the 70D. if it were me diesel id stick with canon cause ive always had canons since forever. from p&s to my first Dslr(70D). im a beginner. i stick with what i like to be safe lol. if you are adventurous and wanna try something new and since you were leaning towards the nikon in the game on the video,why not go for it with the nikon? plus the nikon has a slight edge over canon on image quality and you are more for pictures than video. you can also buy the camera at some places and have a trial period to see if you like it. Best Buy i think has a 30 day trial period after purchase. dont like it bring it back.

So, you liked the Nikon portraits better than the Canon 70D portraits in a blind test?? Did you like the detailed whites of the Nikon portraits more than the blown-out, detail-free whites in the Canon shots?

Did you notice the way the SUN clipped in the Canon shots of the beach sunset, rendering a big, ugly, yellow,detail-free, "digital" highlight-rendering mess in the Canon shot? Again, this is why the superior dynamic range of modern, current-generation Nikon cameras is such a big advantage in the real world.

Did you like the way the Nikon rendered its in-camera HDR files faster, and without all the rendering errors the Canon was plagued with?

Did you like the Nikon D7100's clean,crisp, moire-free video, as opposed to the God-awful moire-filled mess that the 70D turned in?

Did you like the higher total image quality the Nikon had?

Or do you want a touch screen?

To be fair any item dialogued as such could be given a one sided vote. The touch screen does have a lot of nice features that were kind of glossed over there. In terms of price luckily I could actually resell all of my canon stuff/lenses for roughly 560$, which leaves only a 200-300$ difference between the Nikon replacing the current lenses I have with similar ones.

Currently I am a college student still, and really im at my budget limit with these cameras here or id go higher. Im going to go tommorow to Best Buy and play with both cameras if they have the displays available for a long while and see how I like them. One of my concerns is Nikons menu system, im not familliar with it at all, so ill have to see how user friendly it is in comparison.

Also I guess I should note I am a beginner/slight intermediate user with dslr features/photography. Most of my experience until recently is in Tv mode, allowing the camera to make some of the decisions for me.

Btw Best Buy return policy is 15 Days, unless you spend over $1500 a year, then it is 30 days, 45 for $2500 or more. I know because I work at Geek Squad. :mrgreen:

The better online stores is 30 day return policy. Amazon has never given me any problem. I bet many YouTube reviewers abuse Amazon return policy just to make videos.

The better online stores is 30 day return policy. Amazon has never given me any problem. I bet many YouTube reviewers abuse Amazon return policy just to make videos.

True, but I dont really wanna deal with return shipping and whatnot, 15 days in my hands is plenty of time spent with the device to tell whether or not I like it enough to justify it. Ill update tomorrow to let you guys know what my impressions are hands on.

i just watched the review of 70d vs d7100 and people always complain about the moire on the 70d.
take a look at the comparison, canon left nikon right. I see 2 things wrong here, 1 he used a low quality lens, its very soft or he is out of focus. the canon is clearly sharper with more contrast by default that's how canon is. you could adjust those 2 settings down and it will help your moire patterns.
i bet if both cameras used similar settings and quality of glass, the moire will be much closer.

$moire.jpg

now to help with the original question. if all you care about is still photography and you won't be shooting fast subject, then i'd go with the nikon for the dynamic range. however, when you want more from your camera then just that, you may be wishing you bought the 70d instead.

Last edited:
So went and played with them today. Im going to have to watch some videos on the Nikon on how to use them at all. They really have a terrible menu system, I couldnt even get to how I could change my settings on it. The 70D on the other hand was stupid easy setting wise. Touchscreen also made it a million times easier. Also had a terrible headache when I was playing with them, so I really couldnt play with the nikon at all. Also it was the D7000, not 7100. SO im gunna watch a few simple how tos and then retry.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back