Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 IS II

Neil S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's official Canon is declaring war on Nikon lol.

It seems that it will very likely be the sharpest and best corrected lens ever made. The MTF numbers are off the charts.

Are we back to a sea of white lenses at sporting events?

Whats your opinions on this lens....

Official site link
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_400mm_f_2_8_is_ii_usmhttp://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_400mm_f_2_8_is_ii_usm

dpreview.com press release acrticle
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS II USM and EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM: Digital Photography Review

Last edited:
Let's see the MTF 50 chart...not the gimme stuff they show...

Back to a sea of white lenses at sporting events? Not likely....Canon is lagging badly on High ISO performance and overly-high pixel counts...I think they screwed the pooch on the 1D-III's 18 month failure to autofocus right, and shooters will not return...they left en mass for Nikon in 2007 and 2008 and 2009...it's going to take some better bodies for Canon to regain even some of the customers they lost when the D3 and D3s hit the market.

Canon's MTF figurers are also theoretical, not tested...but showing MTF 5,10,15,20 is pretty cheezy...yeah the numbers are "off the charts"....it's like saying a car is really fast from 55 to 60 MPH....almost hilarious how they show MTF 5,10,15,and 20 figures.

There's more than one way to fudge numbers to make a graph look the way you want it to look.

Derrel...

You make some good and interesting points as always.

I agree that pro level Canon bodies are lacking vs Nikon as we have discussed in length in the past.

If Canon is on a mission to up their game (which it looks like they are) we may be seeing some outstanding bodies from them in the near future.

I don't agree with your assessment of the 7D, and as you know I feel it is an outstanding body in the crowded crop market.

I don't really feel you are giving this lens the credit it deserves. If nothing else they have made a breakthrough in lens construction and weight savings. That counts for a lot, and the quality of its weight reduction/construction cant really be debated.

Most likely it will be an optically outstanding lens, and possibly the finest one Canon has ever made.

I look forward to when it does come out and the reviews are in, it will be interesting no matter what the verdict is. :mrgreen:

Let's see the MTF 50 chart...not the gimme stuff they show...

Back to a sea of white lenses at sporting events? Not likely....Canon is lagging badly on High ISO performance and overly-high pixel counts...I think they screwed the pooch on the 1D-III's 18 month failure to autofocus right, and shooters will not return...they left en mass for Nikon in 2007 and 2008 and 2009...it's going to take some better bodies for Canon to regain even some of the customers they lost when the D3 and D3s hit the market.

Canon's MTF figurers are also theoretical, not tested...but showing MTF 5,10,15,20 is pretty cheezy...yeah the numbers are "off the charts"....it's like saying a car is really fast from 55 to 60 MPH....almost hilarious how they show MTF 5,10,15,and 20 figures.

There's more than one way to fudge numbers to make a graph look the way you want it to look.

There's no need for Canon to fudge the numbers on the 400mm f/2.8 lenses. They are that sharp. I have used both version; and own the non -IS model, and will probably rent the new model to check it out. It's by far their flagship super telephoto. I am more interested in the weight reduction and CA correction. That's about it. Really can't mess with perfection that much.

There's no need for Canon to fudge the numbers on the 400mm f/2.8 lenses. They are that sharp. I have used both version; and own the non -IS model, and will probably rent the new model to check it out. It's by far their flagship super telephoto. I am more interested in the weight reduction and CA correction. That's about it. Really can't mess with perfection that much.

Don't forget about the new IS mode that only activates until just before the exposure.

Although I know its not that important of a thing, the new coating to keep dirt and water off the glass is a really cool idea I think.

Well, I just got an estimate on what the likely retail price will be on this monster. Let's just say the wholesale cost of the lens is the current retail price of old model. YIKES!!! Good news is, I only need one kidney.

Ya I have to admit that this lens is starting to be one of those "what can I do/sell to get this" kind of things.

Realiscically though I won't be getting one lol, at least not unless I get a much higher paying job in the future. :mrgreen:

Well, I can live with what I got now; but I can do some serious damage with the new, lighter lens. I relate it to the shots I often miss because of the set-up and everything else involved in some shots. Especially fast moving subjects. The lighter weight will make use on a monopod much easier. My gimbal tripod mount is nice, but still not as quick as monopod panning, which is really difficult without IS. If I can sell my current lens for a decent price, than the upgrade will not be as steep.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back