Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM lens!

ChopstickHero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
l217_efs1755_586x225.jpg

Wow, just noticed this new lens!

According to this review and the press release, it looks very, very promising! I think it's going to be a popular lens and worthy upgrade to the 17-85mm IS USM lens... even though there will be a 30mm focal length loss. That review is an initial reaction without actually sampling the lens. So it's totally based on it's specs. From the writeup, it says it has the UD L glass inside. So the image quality must be very good. plus it has f2.8 AND IS. although it's a little short on focal length, what else can you want? Although it might not be totally L quality in build, i'm sure it will be a strong performer. I'm eagerly waiting for this to come out. For what it is and where it fits in the Canon lens lineup, pricing will be around $1150 for this lens (dpreview.com)

Info:

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

17-55mm 1:2.8
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Lens Construction
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

19 elements in 12 groups
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Diagonal Angle of View
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

78°30' - 27°50'
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Focus Adjustment
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

AF with full-time manual
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Closest Focusing Distance
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

1.15 ft. / 0.35m
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Zoom System
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

5-group helical zoom (front group moves: 27mm)
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Filter Size
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

77mm
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

3.3 in. x 4.4 in., 22.8 oz. / 83.5mm x 110.6mm, 645g (lens only)
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Note: Hood: EW-83J (bayonet, petal form, two-claw removable hood; attachable in reverse)

I just can't get into EF-S lenses that force me to use 1 of 3 (now 4) cameras. I want to use my lenses on every Canon body I own. The trend is moving towards full frame anyway, as sensor technology grows and they get cheaper and cheaper.

Digital Matt said:
I just can't get into EF-S lenses that force me to use 1 of 3 (now 4) cameras. I want to use my lenses on every Canon body I own. The trend is moving towards full frame anyway, as sensor technology grows and they get cheaper and cheaper.
will the EF-S lenses work on older canon bodies... like the 1N.. ?
I'm confused about all that... :confused:

EDIT....
I was reading and now I understand... EF-S is all the newer Canon Models... right?
So the EF-S will work on the 20D, 1N, etc...

LittleMan said:
EF-S is all the newer Canon Models... right?
So the EF-S will work on the 20D, 1N, etc...
I'm not sure about the 1 series, from this link here.

yeah, it probably won't be good if you own multiple bodies.... but for the weekend photographer who only owns an EFS enabled camera, it would do fine. read on dpreview that it will cost closer to $1150. dang. might as well go L series!

I agree with Matt...it would be hard to justify spending that kind of cash on an EF-S lens. While it does look like that the APS-C sized sensors will be about for a long while...full frame sensors are getting cheaper....and EF-S lenses do not work on full frame.

That does look like a great lens...but too expensive for an EF-S.

I like the other new lens...85 F1.2L II :drool:

Big Mike said:
I agree with Matt...it would be hard to justify spending that kind of cash on an EF-S lens. While it does look like that the APS-C sized sensors will be about for a long while...full frame sensors are getting cheaper....and EF-S lenses do not work on full frame.

That does look like a great lens...but too expensive for an EF-S.

I like the other new lens...85 F1.2L II :drool:

yeah, this is definitely for the serious amateur who isn't going full frame DSLR. i think it's a compromise. i'm sure there will be other EF-S lenses coming out in the future to round off the lineup. imagine an EF-S 55-135mm f2.8 IS USM (or something similar) to complement this lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back