What's new

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS questions

Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
204
Reaction score
7
Location
Ft. Worth, TX
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i was wondering if anyone could give a few reviews on it. im looking to replace the quantary one i have. i know you get what you pay for but at this moment i can not afford the nice new L series i want. i will be using the lens for outdoor soccer and wildlife so i am hoping that the IS will help out with that.
 
IS won't do anything to help freeze faster moving subjects. That's all about the shutter speed.

I've shot surfing with this lens and I was actually surprised by it. Not too shabby for the price. It is a good starter lens, but again, don't expect anything in remotely lower light.
Bright daylight, no problem.

Last time I shot some soccer, I had to get 1/500 of a second to freeze the action, dipping as low as 1/250 had blur.
 
This was the second lens I bought, and I cant say that I regret buying it... sure its not the best, but its worth the modest price tag IMO.... I got some pretty good shots of AC/DC with it from the 5th row with an XSi with an ISO of 800. The IS works great, as stated before its a moot point for sports really, but comes in handy when shooting something that doesnt require a fast shutter speed. If you plan on upgrading this focal length in the future, which is pretty expensive, the worst case scenario(s) are that youre out 240 bucks and keep the lens as a backup etc. or you sell it on the used market and take a 50ish dollar hit... ( oh well ) I think the next step up would be a 70-300mm, which is getting into the 70-200l f/4 price range, so that may be a bit too much for you at the moment. Check flickr for some example photos with it.
 
i own one and find it quite good ... used it for sports, landscapes, wildlife.




with a raynox dcr 250 @250mm


other pics with the lens:
Flickr: Search ishafizan's photostream

hope i managed to make it worthy to be in your 'to be considered' shopping list. for the price, i hv no complaints.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom