Canon flash + Nikon D90 = boom?

naaaach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so the situation is my best friend's camera (T2i) is currently in for repairs, and he said he wanted to use my D90 for a bit. I told him he could use it, no problem, because he helped me pay the quarter of its costs. However, he decided to mount the 550ex on it, and fired away. I didn't know until he told me, and I don't know if I should worry about the state my camera is in right now.

He took about 80-100 photos, about 20 of those using the flash. I know that you are not supposed to use flashes on the D90 unless they're Nikon. I don't have an official Nikon flash to check my camera with, but the rest of its functions seem to work okay (the on-board flash fires correctly). I gave him a little piece of my mind, but told him it's not the end of the world since my camera is still functional (at least so far).

Should I have anything to worry about?

Should be ok. The newer DSLRs are a little less picky about trigger voltage than they used to be. Also, the 550ex isn't really a high voltage flash (I think 6V or 12V max...). I hear you can damage a camera firing certain strobes through a hotshoe to PC adapter. I doubt you need to worry though.

Probably not a problem. But the flash probably only fired at full power (or else he had to use the crappy 'auto mode' on the 580EX).

Nikon says on page 234 of your D90 Users Manual:
.....Negative voltages, or voltages over 250V applied to the accessory hot shoe could not only prevent normal operation, but damage sync circuitry of the camera or flash.

which means you can use most brands of hot shoe flash unit without causing damage to your D90, since most have voltages lower than 250V.

.....Negative voltages, or voltages over 250V applied to the accessory hot shoe could not only prevent normal operation, but damage sync circuitry of the camera or flash.

which means you can use most brands of hot shoe flash unit without causing damage to your D90, since most have voltages lower than 250V.

Whew! And now I feel bad because my friend told me he knew what he was doing and that it won't do anything. I didn't believe him, I guess it's time to apologize!

Whoa, so does something like this mean that I could use an SB-600 or something on my XSi??? :) lol

I'm just curious if this is an "if a=b then b=a" kinda thing :)

Whoa, so does something like this mean that I could use an SB-600 or something on my XSi??? :) lol

I'm just curious if this is an "if a=b then b=a" kinda thing :)
No, it doesn't. And no it isn't.

It is just amazing how many subtle differences there are between Nikon and Canon design philosophies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back