Canon G6 or Canon Digital Reebl 330D

amoki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi, I'm currently considering buying a high-end camear for my new-found hobby (heh), and came across this two digital cameras.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerShot_G6/4505-6501_7-30994103-2.html?tag=tab

I am probably going to buy them from digitalfotoclub.com (international order!). Price tag for Canon G6 = USD 504.95, while for the Digital Rebel = USD 695.95 (below MAP, I know. But from resellarratings.com they are one of the best top 20 online stores with 1000+ reviews and don't use hard-sale tactics Brooklyn online camera stores are notorious with). I may add in some more accesories, but I wouldn't worry about that for now.

I am looking for the best bang for my bucks. I'm not really that good at lenses or stuff like that (in fact,I don't know anything about it). I'm working on a pretty limited budget, and is somewhere around 600 USD with Shipping, but might add another 200 USD I can buy a SLR camera (which sounds pretty.... sophisticated :D ), but again I am trying to get as much as possible with as less as possible. I want something that has the best overall performace, and not that hard to maintain or use for an amateur. Also, I'll probably want something that last for, say, 5 years maybe?

Both cameras has their merits, IMO. The G6 is a 7.1 megapixel camera while the Digital Rebel is a 6.3 megapixel one. The former is easier to operate but doesn't allow too much room for lense attachment, while the latter is a SLR digital camera (which I am not really familiar with, but may pick up over time).
and I can change lenses when my wallet allows me to :) There are other pros and cons - read the CNET review

So anyone with any suggestion on which one I should choose, or any other suggestion on a cheaper but better camera? I'm not in a rush, and may make a decision in 2 weeks' time.

Anything in bold is my priority.

I've actually used a G5 (same as the G6, just with 5megapixel resolution instead of 7) and the 300D Digital Rebel. IMPO, if you want to get as much as possible with as little as possible, get the G6. The G5 I used is still being used daily and takes wonderful photographs. In fact, the first picture I ever had published was taken with the G5. Don't get me wrong, the Rebel is a great camera, but if your main focus is ease of use and mantenance, get the G6. You won't have to worry about lots of connections and seperate parts, you won't need a camera bag to carry everything, and you won't need a pocketful of manuals. While it doesn't have quite the versatility of the Rebel, it's still a fantastic camera and should give you years of fantastic photographs. (Also keep in mind that there are telephoto and wide-angle lenses available for the G3/G5/G6. My mother just picked up the 2X telephoto adapter. These will increase the versatility of the camera considerably for a lot less than an SLR lens, and with less bulk.)

~Adam

I would say that the D-rebel is a much better camera, although the G6 seems to be one of the best point & shoot style digital cameras. If ease of use is a concern, don't worry about the Rebel...it's still a very basic camera compared to something like the 20D. The learning curve will be a little longer, especially if you are not used to an SLR...but a little extra learning is better than realizing the limitations of a P&S.

Firstly, the sensor is much bigger in the Rebel, that means better image quality and a lot less noise at higher ISO settings. The shutter lag should be faster on the D-rebel. The replaceable lens is convenient but it really helps to add & keep value in your camera gear. 3-4 years from now, the G6 will be old and maybe obsolete...so might the D-rebel...but your SLR lenses will still hold much of their value. Also, you can upgrade your camera body and continue to use the rest of your gear.

Hah! I got the d-rebel, and to say honestly that camera is incredible! Yes, I'm glad I didn't take the G6. A point-and-shoot camera is still a point-and-shoot camera. My sister have a Canon A70, which both of us share frequently. The problem with point-and-shoot is that it is hard to zoom to the right "place" to take that shot. Finding a right bag for the D-rebel is a head-ache, though,

Congrats.

For bags, look at Lowepro.com, for nice but fairly expensive camera bags of all sorts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back