Canon "IS" question

Mystwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My understanding is that "IS" (Image Stabilization) helps in hand holdability for taking shots. An "IS" of 4 steps (24-105?) will allow a shot normally taken at 1/40 to take at much slower shutter speed.

Taking the 24-105 f/4L as an example, will the IS allow for more acceptable shots in low-light conditions? Am comparing the 24-105 with the 24-70 f/2.8L.

17-55 is probably the ideal choice (f/2.8 + IS), but I'm weary of "non-L" build, plus I believe it does not "internal focus" - I think that's the term for tube that do not move in and out. Also, it's EF-S :(

It depends on what you are shooting. IS helps with your movement (handshake) It does absolutely nothing for the movement of the subjects. If you are shooting a building at night you can get very clear results with that slow shutter speed. If on the other hand you are shooting a dancing couple on a dimly light dance floor at that same 1/40 shutter speed you will have a blurry shot.

It depends on what you are shooting. IS helps with your movement (handshake) It does absolutely nothing for the movement of the subjects. If you are shooting a building at night you can get very clear results with that slow shutter speed. If on the other hand you are shooting a dancing couple on a dimly light dance floor at that same 1/40 shutter speed you will have a blurry shot.

The above pretty much sums it all up.

Low Light w/ stationary subject: IS alright to use and sharpER images at acceptable shutter speeds.
Low Light w/ moving subjects: IS doesn't really help. You can slow your shutter speed down to have a sharper image for stationary objects, but those moving objects will STILL be blurred no matter what the IS does. For this scenario, a faster lens, like the 2.8 is better so you can get a faster shutter speed.
Alot of light w/ moving subjects (soccer, baseball): Doesn't really help. If you have a fast enough shutter speed, theere is really no need for IS.

Hope this helps

~Michael~

Thanks. I got it now.

That mean 17-55 f/2.8 IS is still ideal for low-light plus moving target. :(

That mean 17-55 f/2.8 IS is still ideal for low-light plus moving target.
I know several photographers who shoot with this lens. It's pretty much the best option, in this range, for crop sensor cameras. They all say that the image quality is on par with L lenses...but there are issues. It is susceptible to dust getting into it. Worse that that, the IS system isn't very robust and will likely wear out if you use it all the time. Many of them now use the IS, only when it's needed (shutter speeds under 1/30 etc) and turn it off the rest of the time. I've also heard a few stories of this lens...just crapping out. So while it's optically great, there are problems.

Other options would be the 17-40mm F4 L, the 16-35mm F2.8 L, the 24-70mm F2.8 L and the 24-105mm F4 L IS. I personally find 24mm to be not wide enough on a crop body. I use a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

Most reactions

Back