Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus

Nothing is as good as a Lomo

Are we talking about TVs here? If that is the case, I will pick Sony from the list.:lol:

CanonVSNikon.jpg

What a stupid thread :lol:

(cough)
(ahem)
Amiga rulz?

The nice thing about this forum is I can post stuff like that and no one takes me too seriously.

This question gets asked a lot, so search for some more info, however what Angry Don ;) said is true. They're all kinda the same to some degree... it depends a part on what you like and a part on what you need.

For example, if you need the widest shots technically possible, then you need a full-frame sensor. (since a crop sensor reduces the width of a lens) Since the options for full frame sensors are somewhat limited (and in the case of the Nikon line, very expensive), you might lean more towards a Canon purchase.

The only thing I would outright say against any of the individual lines that isn't technical and purely opinion is that Sony is a bad company, and supporting them with your dollars supports their very bad behaviors. They have all kinds of ergonimics issues in a lot of their products, they continually try to ram their proprietary (and often not so great) technologies down everyone's throat (and then charge a ton to license them and support them poorly), their customer service is almost comically bad, and worst of all... their politics and the manner in which they treat their customers is HORRIFIC. (see link) Sony needs to go down, and go down hard. The only way that will happen is if people stop buying their stuff. I therefore would recommend buying something from pretty much anyone else. :)

Depends on what you plan to shoot..... and how much you want to spend.

Keep in mind after you buy the body you have to buy glass :)

iso 800 in the shade..

ContestLBFSMaster_filteredMedium.jpg

Cheers, Don

Wow. That's amazing. Not quite as amazing as the 5D MKII sample shots at 6400 ISO inside and lit by crappy ambient.

Can we just agree that PhotographyIsConfusing is just posing as a noob to ignite a flame war? ;) OK, just kidding.

Really, no DSLR these days is better or worse than another. Image quality is about the same regardless of brand. You should be paying more attention to good lenses as they determine more about image quality than camera bodies.

Go to a store, try out a bunch of DSLRs. Get what feels best in your hands and what you feel will best suit your needs as a system.

Nikon is probably the best when it comes to backwards compatibility with lenses. They've used the same mount (albeit, with some modifications) since 1959. Certain very old lenses will require some cheap modifications to work on some new bodies. You can use DX (crop sensor) lenses on film bodies, although you'll get black corners at most focal lengths. You can use DX lenses on FX (full frame digital) bodies, and the FX bodies can automatically recognize DX lenses and crop the area of the sensor that gets used to avoid black corners. You can use FX lenses on DX bodies with no problems at all.

Canon bodies and lenses have full compatibility since the mid-1980's. Canon changed mounts at that point when they moved to auto-focus systems, so, old Canon manual lenses are completely incompatible with newer Canon bodies. You cannot use EF-S (crop sensor) lenses on EF (full frame sensor) bodies, not that you'd really want to anyway. You can use EF lenses on EF-S bodies.

I know a lot less about Sony. They bought out Minolta and now uses their mount, so I think there is a decent back-catalogue of Minolta lenses if you buy a Sony.

I don't really know anything about Pentax.

Olympus is really the only brand I think some of us will advise keeping away from. They use a smaller sensor (2x crop compared to Nikon's 1.5x and Canon's 1.6x), which does affect image quality in some respects.

The funny thing is that with the right adapters, you can actually use more old Nikon glass on Canons than you can on Nikons.

One plus for Canon is having the fastest production AF primes.

i prefer cannon...dslr cams point n shot cams. well thats only me...lol

Nikon is probably the best when it comes to backwards compatibility with lenses.

Pentax is not bad either in terms of lens compatibility. You can mount almost any K-mount lenses on current Pentax dSLRs and retain metering and focus confirmation. You can even mount any M42 lenses with a simple adapter (no electronics involved) and still reatin metering and focus confirmation

Most reactions

Back