Canon Powershot G10 vs. Nikon Coolpix P6000

otter1833

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a compact digital camera that has the custom features of a DSLR. It looks like it will be between the G10 and the P6000. My style of shooting is aperture priority setting, on a tripod, available light...usually fine art color and B/W. Thanks in advance for your input!

I have the P6000 and love it. One of the main reasons I did buy it though was because it would take my Nikin Flash. The Canon is I think a step up from the P6000 especially in construction, it is definately a more substantial camera.

The P6000 is kind of lousy for what it is, and how expensive it is. Most Fuji compacts have better image quality.

The Canon G10 though for what it is, and as long as it's not over about ISO 200-400ish, is pretty nice.

One thing that I really like about the G10 is the exposure compensation dial, that is brilliant design.

Nikon point and shoots always disappoint me, the P90 at it's bast ISO of 64 looks like a D700 at ISO 3200-6400. That's retarded. And it's because these compacts have way too many megapixels.

IMO Fuji is the only company who's gotten it right recently with the F200EXR

If I were on the market for a high end P&S, I would wait for the release of the first micro four thirds camera from Olympus. I received a newsletter from Olympus and I seem to remember that they are going to announce this new camera on June, 16th (unfortunately I cannot find the email and cannot find the info on the web). That will be an interesting compact camera with interchangeable lenses with a sensor bigger than the sensors in the G10 and P6000. That could be an amazing and novel camera.

how much would the new camera from olympus cost?
clear.gif

how much would the new camera from olympus cost?
clear.gif

They did not say in the newsletter. We'll probably have to wait for the announcement to know more about price, features, release date...

From what I've heard.... announcement for the Olympus digital "pen" is June 25th. It will be the size of a point and shoot but with interchangeable lenses. My guess is that it will have the same sensor size as the Panasonic G1 since they are both from the micro 4/3rds mount family. Price will probably be a bit more than the typical high-end P&S... probably closer to that of entry level DSLRs.

I am pretty excited...

Meh, I like my little Canon G9, and prefer it vastly over the Leica D-Lux 3 (the red-dot version of the Panasonic LX2, last generation's market leaders in high-end P&S cameras). But ultimately it's still got a crappy little sensor, and the images are acceptable at best. No conversation about these kinds of cameras is complete without mentioning Sigma's DP2. It is a pocket camera with a real DSLR sensor and a good lens. Take a look at that.

From what I've heard.... announcement for the Olympus digital "pen" is June 25th. It will be the size of a point and shoot but with interchangeable lenses. My guess is that it will have the same sensor size as the Panasonic G1 since they are both from the micro 4/3rds mount family. Price will probably be a bit more than the typical high-end P&S... probably closer to that of entry level DSLRs.

I am pretty excited...

The new Olympus has been announced. It is called the Pen E-P1. It looks quite good and can be bought with a 17mm f/2.8 pancake lens (and optical viewfinder to match). Read all about it here. I did not have time to read the complete review but I could not find a price.

Considering I'm in Amsterdam Schiphol Airport twice a week at least, I will pick one up once it becomes available. It is the cheapest place in Europe to buy cameras, and they always have a wide selection.

I will buy it with the pancake lens and the VF.

Considering I'm in Amsterdam Schiphol Airport twice a week at least, I will pick one up once it becomes available. It is the cheapest place in Europe to buy cameras, and they always have a wide selection.

Great. Will you then post a 'real life' review once you've used the camera? That would be interesting. I think they are also going to release a 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens (might be a better choice than the 17mm f/2.8).

Last edited:
For those of us who don't go to Schiphol airport than often (or can't afford a new camera), Olympus may lend a Pen E-P1 for a week (CLICK).

The new Olympus has been announced. It is called the Pen E-P1. It looks quite good and can be bought with a 17mm f/2.8 pancake lens (and optical viewfinder to match). Read all about it here. I did not have time to read the complete review but I could not find a price.

Yup... just saw the announcement and started a new thread. The "kit" includes both a 17mm pancake and a zoom lens which is very nice move. Olympus USA website prices the camera at $750 USD. IMO, not too bad at all... the same price point as the Panasonic G1. I almost bought the G1 a while back. While I liked the G1, I thought that it wasn't significantly compact enough compared to traditional SLRs to really show off the format.

Oh please do post your opinion. I am too very interested in the camera. I am sure at some point in time, we'll hear opinions regarding the Olympus mated to Leica M-mount lenses from the Leica community.

Time to start saving again... :lol:

Most reactions

Back