Canon Powershot G9 or Canon EOS 350D?

Which is better for landscapcs, city skylines, street scenes?

• Canon Powershot G9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canon EOS 350D

Votes: 11 100.0%

• Total voters

Rapid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm getting into photography, and looks like I'm going to be on these forums for a longg time from now on. Well, here is my first post!

I'm on a budget and planning to buy a camera. I need the help of people who know what they are talking about because I may need to buy soon. The two options I've chosen as of yet (not carved in stone) is the Canon Powershot G9, and the Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT. To the best of your knowledge, which camera would you find better for taking shots such as landscapes, cityscapes, skylines, HDR imaging and so on. Here are the statistics for each:

Spec...............Canon PowerShot G9......Canon EOS 350D
Type...............................like-dSLR......dSLR
Max resolution...............4000 x 3000......3456 x 2304
Megapixels..............................12.1......8.0
Sensor size............................1/1.7".....22.2 x 14.8 mm
Sensor type.............................CCD.......CMOS
ISO rating..................Auto, 80 -1600.....100-1600
Focal length multiplier...................No......1.6
Weight (inc. batt).......370 g (13.1 oz).....540 g (19 oz)

Which camera will be better at shooting landscapes, cityscapes etc.?
What other statistics are important that I didn't mention, and why?
What are other potential competitors in the same class and budget?

In-depth comparison

First a foremost you need to decide if you want a P&S or DSLR. Only YOU can decide. This is an apples to oranges comparison.

With that said... either camera will do what you posted but in different ways simply because they are different types of cameras. The Gseries is a wonderful line with a lot of successes. The Rebel isn't my favorite body because I"m used to larger more solid camera bodies BUT I personally would choose the DSLR over the P&S. That is just my personal choice and says nothing about what is good for you.

The Rebel might be priced similar to the G9 but you still have to buy lenses.

My money went on the 350d although now I suggest that you go for the 400d since the technology is about 3 years newer. I started here to learn the ins and outs of using an SLR and then spent my money on improving the quality of my lens collection. After 3 years I'm now ready to upgrade the camera but I think I'll be keeping the 350d as a redundant spare.

Sensor size............................1/1.7".....22.2 x 14.8 mm
To me, this is the the important comparison. The DSLR has a much larger sensor. Also, a DSLR has interchangeable lenses while the G series does not.

As mentioned, it's really Apples and Oranges. If you want something convenient that can take some pretty good photos, then maybe the Powershot will be good for you. If, on the other hand, you want to learn the craft of photography and experiment with different lenses, or if image quality is a high priority...then a DSLR is a better choice, hands down.

First a foremost you need to decide if you want a P&S or DSLR. Only YOU can decide. This is an apples to oranges comparison.

The Rebel might be priced similar to the G9 but you still have to buy lenses.

I'm not aware of the more intracate differences between a compact and a dslr. What I am aware of is that the dslr has a prism reflecting more light onto the sensor and that it is not as quick as a point and shoot.

Also, this price includes the lenses for the 350D

To me, this is the the important comparison. The DSLR has a much larger sensor. Also, a DSLR has interchangeable lenses while the G series does not.

I was not aware that the G9 didn't have interchangable lenses.

What is this on the G9?

canon_g9_wcon-001.jpg

I believe that is a wide angle adaptor that is mounted onto the existing lens.

Id go for the XT, however it really depends on what you need/ want. Some ppl like the smaller PnS style cameras, and the G9 is the best there is in that category. However you have so many more options with the XT.

I'm not aware of the more intracate differences between a compact and a dslr. What I am aware of is that the dslr has a prism reflecting more light onto the sensor and that it is not as quick as a point and shoot.

Nope.. SLR (and Digital SLRs) have a mirror and prism that allows the photographer to view the subject through the lens itself. At the time the shutter button is depressed the mirror is instantly lifted out of the path of light and allowed to pass towards the film plane. This was a divergence from other popular camera types at the time SLRs were first introduced which relied on a seperate optic just for the photographer's viewfinder.

In general, the DSLR/SLR will be better/faster than a P&S in almost all aspects... this is especially true in terms of shutter lag (the difference between the actually depressing of the shutter button to the actual tripping of the shutter to take the photo). This is counter to what you stated in your post.

Also, this price includes the lenses for the 350D

Then to make a proper comparison we need to know which lenses are included in the package. Typical "kit" lenses for DSLR packages that are priced really low are not high quality. A typical good lens + DSLR package will be priced higher than the G9.

I was not aware that the G9 didn't have interchangable lenses.

What is this on the G9?

G9 is a fixed lens P&S (albeit a high end P&S). What you see in the picture is a screw on lens. Basically an extra optic that is screwed in front of the fixed lens. Generally not the most ideal setup for high quality images.

As I stated before.. this is an apples to oranges comparison. Two different types of tools are being compared to each other. In order to make a decision, you need to decide what is more important... the flexibility and quality of an DSLR or the compactness and convenience of a P&S.

I'd be quite comfertable using the G9 for street photography.
It's smaller, more compact and you would go unnoticed using that over a DSLR. The G9 also has the ability to shoot in RAW aswell doesn't it? Thats a big plus for a P+S camera.

But.... the DSLR is going to be alot more versitile in most other situations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back